BJP to make fresh assessment of Kashmir situationMay 28th, 2012 - 9:24 pm ICT by IANS
Jammu, May 28 (IANS) A study group of the Bhartiya Janata Party (BJP) arrived here Monday to make a fresh assessment of the situation in Jammu and Kashmir.
The group is led by the party’s former president Rajnath Singh.
Talking to media, Rajnath Singh said: “We have come to understand the situation which has come about in the past one-and-a-half years. Jammu and Kashmir has not shown any signs of recurrence of violence and clashes in the past 20 months.”
The BJP leader said that the idea behind their study was to “apprise ourselves” of the latest situation, so that the party can work accordingly. “This, however, doesn’t mean that there is any change in our original position,” Singh said.
The study group was constituted by the BJP last year, after interlocutors on Kashmir - journalist Dileep Padgaonkar, academician Radha Kumar and former information commissioner - started interacting with the people of the state.
Rajnath Singh said that the interlocutors’ report on Kashmir was “nothing but a repeat of old things. Therefore, there is nothing much to comment upon.”
“This report should have been made public when Parliament was in session. The timings of the release of the report makes us suspicious of the whole thing,” Singh said.
The group will visit Rajouri and also the Kashmir Valley, during its current visit to the state.
- Kashmir interlocutors' report ambiguous: Rajnath Singh - Jun 01, 2012
- Kashmir interlocutors ask BJP to reconsider flag hoisting plan - Jan 19, 2011
- Interlocutors visit Kot Bhalwal jail in Jammu (Third Lead) - Oct 27, 2010
- J&K; parties boycott interlocutors' report - Sep 02, 2012
- Chidambaram to visit Jammu and Kashmir Feb 3 - Jan 30, 2011
- Jammu leaders pitch for delimitation of seats - Jan 18, 2011
- Interlocutors have changed Kashmir discourse: Chidambaram - Jan 04, 2011
- Karan Singh declines comment on interlocutors' report - May 25, 2012
- People of Kashmir want peace: Dileep Padgaonkar - Dec 21, 2010
- Congress leaders will be kept in loop on Kashmir roadmap, assures Chidambaram (Lead) - Feb 03, 2011
- Jammu parties boycott former interlocutors - Sep 02, 2012
- Panthers Party to boycott meet with former interlocutors - Aug 30, 2012
- Kashmir interlocutors begin third visit from today - Dec 17, 2010
- Significant improvement in J-K law and order situation after visit of all-party delegation: Chidamb - Jan 04, 2011
- All-party meet on Kashmir report in November - Oct 26, 2011
Tags: academician, bhartiya janata party, bjp leader, clashes, former president, half years, information commissioner, interlocutors, jammu and kashmir, journalist, kashmir, kashmir valley, parliament, recurrence, signs, study group, violence