BJP to contest 26 seats, Shiv Sena 22 in MaharashtraMarch 13th, 2009 - 6:56 pm ICT by ANI
Mumbai, Mar 13 (ANI): The Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) on Friday said it has finalized seat sharing with the Shiv Sena in Maharashtra for the general elections.
Addressing media persons here, senior BJP leader Gopinath Munde said both parties have reached an understanding on seat-sharing arrangements.
The BJP will contest on 26 seats while the Shiv Sena will try its luck on 22 seats in Maharashtra , he added.
Munde said the BJP agreed to give the three seats of Kalyan, Yavatmal and South Mumbai to the Shiv Sena.
The BJP leader said he would also like to contest from the Bheed constituency if the party agrees.
Party sources said that a formal announcement on seat-sharing between the two parties is likely to be made this evening in presence of Sena Executive President Uddhav Thackeray and state BJP President Nitin Gadkari.
Earlier, there was talk of differences between the BJP and Shiv Sena over seat-sharing in Maharashtra after the latter was reportedly discussing alternative arrangements with Sharad Pawars NCP. (ANI)
- BJP keen on MNS as part of alliance in Maharashtra - Mar 01, 2011
- Shiv Sena, BJP and RPI announce alliance - Nov 14, 2011
- Gadkari supports Munde on tri-partite alliance - Feb 24, 2011
- Uddhav Thackeray hits out at Rahul Gandhi, Ajit Pawar - Jun 10, 2011
- Shiv Sena-BJP finalise seat-sharing deal for Maharashtra polls - Sep 19, 2009
- Congress, NCP leaders also turn up to felicitate Munde - Dec 12, 2010
- Shiv Sena MP meets Pawar to seek help for development - Jan 21, 2012
- Gopinath Munde denies plans to join Shiv Sena - Jun 17, 2011
- Peeved Dalit leader quits Maharashtra opposition alliance - Jan 05, 2012
- Munde moves will not affect saffron alliance: Bal Thackeray - Jun 22, 2011
- BJP, Shiv Sena meet to sort out differences - Mar 13, 2011
- BJP chief Gadkari holds grand reception in Nagpur - Dec 03, 2010
- Maharashtra opposition calls off Aug 1 shutdown - Jul 30, 2011
- Gadkari visits Bal Thackeray in hospital - Jul 26, 2012
- Munde won't leave party, say BJP leaders - Jun 21, 2011
Tags: alternative arrangements, bharatiya janata party, bjp leader, bjp president, constituency, executive president, formal announcement, general elections, kalyan, media persons, mumbai, nitin, party sources, presence, shiv sena, thackeray