BJP takes up Amarnath pilgrims’ deaths with ChidambaramJuly 24th, 2012 - 7:11 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, July 24 (IANS) A day after the Supreme Court expressed shock over the deaths of more Amarnath pilgrims in Jammu and Kashmir, a Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) delegation Tuesday met Home Minister P. Chidambaram and sought the central government’s intervention in the issue.
The delegation asked Chidambaram to convey their concern to the Jammu and Kashmir government and Governor N.N. Vohra.
“We requested the government to ensure proper facilities for the pilgrims, including health care and shelters,” said BJP leader Sushma Swaraj, who was part of the delagation.
“We have asked the government to increase the duration of the yatra so more people can visit the shrine,” she said.
Sushma Swaraj said Chidambaram assured the delegation that he will speak to Vohra.
According to the BJP, one of the major factors behind such a high increase in mortality this year is that the yatra duration has been squeezed drastically from the usual 60 days to 39 days.
“But the number of pilgrims visiting the shrine has already gone up to 42,000 per day,” said Sushma Swaraj.
The BJP also said the situation becomes more complicated because of man-made “queuing system”, which makes yatris wait for over two to five days in high-altitude areas with heavy rains and extremely cold weather.
The annual pilgrimage is organised by the Shri Amarnathji Shrine Board (SASB), formed in 2001.
Besides Sushma Swaraj, the delegation comprised Arun Jaitley, Ananth Kumar and Shahnawaz Hussain.
- Amarnath pilgrimage registration from May 7 - Apr 21, 2012
- Enhanced healthcare ordered for Amarnath pilgrims - Jul 09, 2012
- 74 Amarnath pilgrims die in 19 days - Jul 14, 2012
- Now, a diet chart for Amarnath pilgrims - Jan 07, 2012
- Dead Amarnath pilgrims fudged health certificates: report - Jul 20, 2012
- Differences sharpen between Amarnath board, religious groups - May 12, 2012
- Pilgrims cannot start Amarnath Yatra before June 25 - Jun 23, 2012
- 'Amarnath yatra duration as per religious tradition' - Apr 15, 2012
- Over 1 lakh pilgrims visit Amarnath shrine in 5 days - Jun 30, 2012
- 12,000 pilgrims arrive for Amarnath Yatra - Jun 24, 2012
- Home ministry reviews situation ahead of Amarnath Yatra - Jun 11, 2012
- Amarnath pilgrimage to begin June 29 - Feb 18, 2011
- Amarnath yatra dates decided on religious calendar, says shrine board (Lead) - Feb 29, 2012
- Heavy rain disrupts Amarnath pilgrim's movement - Jun 25, 2012
- Kashmir had record 12 million tourists - Dec 31, 2011
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,