BJP-sponsored shutdown affects normal life in KeralaNovember 14th, 2007 - 8:12 am ICT by admin
Shops remained closed and no classes are being held in educational institutions. n most towns, the movement of buses and trucks has been halted. However, private vehicles are plying in most places.
BJP State President P.K. Krishnadas had said that the Centre and State Governments had ridiculed Keralites by deciding to give a 79-km broad gauge line to the State, instead of the 623-km broad gauge line given to Tamil Nadu for forming the Salem division.
Earlier, Chief Minister V.S.Achuthanandan had requested the BJP to call off their shutdown. However, the party state unit maintained their stand as it is coinciding with the state-formation day and the visit of the President Pratibha Patil.
Meanwhile, tight security arrangements have been made in Thiruvananthapuram as President Patil will address the Public Reception Programme at Central Stadium today on the occasion of Kerala’s Foundation Day.
Patil will also release a document on Clean Kerala Mission and a logo on Kerala State Total Physical Fitness programme, besides distributing scholarships to students.
On Friday, the President will deliver the 17th Convocation Address at the Mother Teresa Women’s University in Chennai.
She will return to Delhi on the same evening. (ANI)
- Shutdown reflects feelings of Keralites: BJP (Lead: Kerala shutdown) - Nov 14, 2007
- Protests in Kerala over petrol price rise - Sep 16, 2011
- Tripura Left Front not to join all-India strike July 5 - Jun 30, 2010
- President arrives in Kerala on three-day visit - Aug 29, 2011
- Chandy blames Air India for high fares to Middle East - Oct 03, 2011
- Life in Assam hit by shutdowns, blockade - May 07, 2012
- Jharkhand shops shut down over VAT - Feb 04, 2011
- Buses stoned in Thiruvananthapuram shutdown - Sep 17, 2011
- Chandy hopes Mullaperiyar issue will be amicably resolved - Dec 12, 2011
- ULFA opposes PM visit, calls shutdown - Apr 10, 2012
- Welfare scheme for jobless Non-Resident Keralites - Jun 24, 2011
- Divide Darjeeling into two districts: GJM - Aug 03, 2011
- Kerala seeks chartered flights from Middle East - Jun 19, 2012
- Keralites hapless, angry over yet another shutdown - Sep 19, 2011
- Railway budget largesse to Kerala leaves LDF unimpressed - Feb 25, 2011
Tags: bjp, broad gauge, chief minister, convocation address, foundation day, gauge line, initial reports, kerala state, pratibha patil, private vehicles, public reception, s university, salem division, security arrangements, shutdown, state formation, state president, thiruvananthapuram, tight security