BJP revives Ram Temple issue at Nagpur conclaveFebruary 8th, 2009 - 1:19 pm ICT by ANI
Nagpur, Feb.8 (ANI): The opposition Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) on Saturday reiterated its vow to construct the Lord Ram temple in Ayodhya, an issue that has been a flashpoint of tension between Hindus and Muslims for years, if the party is voted to power in the ensuing elections.
The raising of this issue with elections just months away, is likely to queer the pitch between the BJP and its political allies in the National Democratic Alliance (NDA). Most constituents in the NDA are reportedly not in favour of bring the Ram Temple issue to the forefront of the campaign out of fears that it might lose the Muslim and secular vote.
“As far as the issue of Ram Mandir (Lord Rama’’s temple) is concerned, it is the issue of our faith. No one can shake BJP’’s faith and reverence to Lord Rama. We will build the Ram temple in Ayodhya, and we are waiting for the right opportunity,” asserted Rajnath Singh, President of BJP.
Hindu hardliners have contended that Muslim invaders built the Babri mosque after destroying a temple that existed at the birthplace of Lord Rama.
After winning the general elections in 1999, the BJP was forced to abandon plans of constructing the temple by its secular coalition allies in National Democratic Alliance under which it ran the federal government until 2004. (ANI)
- 19 years after Babri demolition, Ram temple on backburner? - Dec 05, 2011
- Ayodhya verdict: Okay to Ram temple, land to Muslims too (Roundup) - Sep 30, 2010
- Advani rakes up Ram temple issue - Sep 09, 2012
- Advani kicks off BJP's UP poll campaign with Ram temple - Feb 05, 2012
- What structure should disputed site have - Some views - Sep 23, 2010
- VHP to move Supreme Court against Ayodhya verdict - Dec 07, 2010
- Delhi in mind, Advani starts yatra from Bihar - Oct 12, 2011
- Katiyar hints at legal battle if Ayodhya suit is lost - Sep 19, 2010
- Ayodhya ruling recognises belief on Ram's birthplace: Advani - Oct 03, 2010
- Ayodhya verdict has complicated Bihar poll scene (Comment) - Oct 09, 2010
- Factsheet: Timeline of the Ayodhya Dispute - May 09, 2011
- Gadkari woos Muslims with promises of welfare, safety - Aug 27, 2010
- Temple not on people's agenda in Ayodhya - Feb 09, 2012
- RSS prefers out of court settlement on Ayodhya: Spokesperson - Oct 08, 2010
- VHP seers meet in Ayodhya to decide on road ahead - Oct 20, 2010
Tags: ayodhya, babri mosque, bjp, conclave, flashpoint, general elections, hindus and muslims, lord ram, lord rama, muslim invaders, national democratic alliance, political allies, queer the pitch, rajnath singh, ram mandir, ram temple, reverence, secular coalition, temple issue, vow