BJP legislature party meet todayDecember 24th, 2007 - 11:19 am ICT by admin
Gandhinagar, Dec 24 (ANI): The newly-elected BJP MLAs in Gujarat will meet here today to endorse the name of Narendra Modi for the Chief Ministerial post.
BJP General Secretary Arun Jaitley and party Vice President Venkaiah Naidu will be central observers at the meeting.
The Parliamentary Board of the party has already recommended his name.
Modi, who will be sworn in as Chief Minister on December 27, has returned to power for the third time in the state. The BJP registered a thumping victory by winning in 117 seats, ten less from its 2002 figure.
The Congress on the other hand managed to win 59 assembly seats.
Modi registered a thumping victory in the Maninagar Assembly constituency by defeating Congress’ candidate and Union Minister of State for Petroleum and Natural Gas, Dinsha Patel by 87, 000 votes.
Modi has said that the BJP is winning in Gujarat, since 1990. He also equated his party’s consistent victory in the State polls and equated with the Left parties’ dominance in West Bengal.
“After West Bengal, it’s happening in Gujarat,” he quipped, as he is set to become the Chief Minister of the State for the third consecutive time.
Expressing his gratitude to the people of Gujarat for voting him back to power, Modi has said that the people of state have rejected the negative forces and anti-Gujarat elements.
The people of Gujarat have voted for development and good governance of “my government,” Modi said.
The BJP has been in power in the State for over a decade. (ANI)
- Using lunch box to mobilise party - the Modi way - Aug 12, 2011
- Mamata wins by-poll, Trinamool snatches Basirhat-Uttar - Sep 28, 2011
- Congress scores in Karnataka, Gujarat, mauled in Andhra (Roundup) - Mar 21, 2012
- Congress members harming party prospects in Gujarat: Shastri - Jul 31, 2012
- Mamata Banerjee: Timeline of an intrepid politician - May 20, 2011
- Gautam Ghosh plans documentary on Mamata Banerjee - May 18, 2011
- Congress wins two bypolls, BJP drubbed in Karnataka (Roundup) - Dec 04, 2011
- Congress's Gandhinagar win a dent in Modi's invincibility? (Gujarat Newsletter) - Apr 22, 2011
- Modi steps up attack on Congress-led UPA - Jun 10, 2012
- Trinamool wins first assembly seat in Uttar Pradesh - Jun 15, 2012
- Congress in Gujarat: Lost in the shadows (Gujarat Newsletter) - Mar 24, 2011
- No development in West Bengal under Left Front government: Narendra Modi - Apr 16, 2011
- Advani attacks PM on corruption - Nov 06, 2011
- Decision on supporting Mallya at BJP's Patna meet - Jun 11, 2010
- PM, Pranab congratulate Mamata on victory - Sep 28, 2011
Tags: arun jaitley, assembly seats, chief minister, congress candidate, consecutive time, constituency, dec 24, general secretary, good governance, gujarat, left parties, minister of state, ministerial post, mlas, modi, state polls, union minister, venkaiah naidu, vspace, west bengal