BJP launches protest against Omar for accession remarkNovember 2nd, 2010 - 5:58 pm ICT by IANS
Jammu, Nov 2 (IANS) The Bharatiya Janta Party (BJP) here Tuesday called for a “sustained” agitation against Chief Minister Omar Abdullah for his “uncalled for” remarks on the accession of Jammu and Kashmir with India.
The party has called for ‘Jammu bandh’ or shutdown Nov 8, when the seat of the state government shifts to winter capital Jammu. It has planned a calendar of protests against the chief minister.
The party has taken strong exception to Abdullah questioning the status of Jammu and Kashmir within the Indian union, despite the last Dogra king, Maharaja Hari Singh, having signed the same instrument of accession that other princely states had signed while acceding to India.
“It is unfortunate that the chief minister, who owes his position to the constitution that clearly states that ‘Jammu and Kashmir is and shall remain integral part of India’, has chosen to raise doubts about it,” BJP’s state unit president Shamsher Singh Manhas said at a press conference here.
“We will begin with a Jammu bandh on November 8 and thereafter we will organise more protests,” Manhas said.
Abdullah had said in the Jammu and Kashmir assembly that the state had only acceded to and not merged with the Union of India and could not be compared to Junagarh and Hyderabad, triggering outrage from the BJP.
- Nothing wrong with Omar's Kashmir accession remarks: Krishna - Oct 15, 2010
- Congress welcomes Sonia statement on Kashmir accession - Oct 21, 2010
- No regrets over accession remarks: Omar - Nov 08, 2010
- Complete shutdown in Jammu against Omar's accession remark - Nov 08, 2010
- Jammu all set to celebrate accession day - Oct 25, 2010
- Panthers Party to celebrate Kashmir's accession day - Oct 16, 2011
- Omar Abdullah said nothing objectionable on J-K accession, says Krishna - Oct 15, 2010
- Advani hits out at Omar, interlocutors - Dec 14, 2010
- BJP calls for boycott of Omar, Congress ministers - Nov 25, 2010
- Gilani-Manmohan Singh likely to meet in November: Pakistan - Oct 27, 2011
- Accession of Jammu and Kashmir same as of other states: Karan Singh - Oct 22, 2010
- Traffic off road in Jammu to protest Omar's remarks - Nov 27, 2010
- Omar should quit at the earliest: Advani - Oct 17, 2010
- Jammu celebrates anniversary of state's accession with India - Oct 26, 2010
- Terms of Indira-Abdullah 1975 accord were never fulfilled: Mustafa Kamal (Interview) - Jul 01, 2012
Tags: agitation, bandh, bjp, chief minister, constitution, dogra, doubts, India, jammu and kashmir, kashmir, maharaja hari singh, manhas, nov 2, outrage, princely states, protest, protests, shamsher singh, state government, winter capital