BJP issues disqualification notice to seven Kashmir legislatorsMay 24th, 2011 - 12:15 pm ICT by IANS
Jammu, May 24 (IANS) The Jammu and Kashmir unit of the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) has issued “disqualification notices” to seven of its legislators who had cross-voted in the legislative council elections last month.
The seven, including former legislature party leader Chaman Lal Gupta, have been asked to explain why they should not be disqualified as members of the legislative assembly as they had violated the party whip and voted for rival parties in the April 13 polls.
The notices were issued Monday night by acting legislature party leader Jugal Kishore Sharma.
Chief whip of the party Ashok Khajuria told IANS that the “disqualification notices have been issued”.
On April 13, barring four, all other legislators of the BJP in the state had voted for the ruling National Conference and Congress alliance candidates. As a result, the BJP candidate polled only four votes.
BJP has 11 legislators in the assembly.
- War erupts in Kashmir's BJP unit - May 31, 2011
- BJP expels Jammu and Kashmir leader Chaman Lal Gupta (Lead) - Jun 01, 2011
- Kashmir's suspended BJP legislators may form own group - May 21, 2011
- Jammu and Kashmir BJP legislator opposes action against him - May 08, 2011
- We have not quit, BJP legislators tell Jammu and Kashmir speaker - Apr 22, 2011
- Kashmir's suspended BJP legislators defy leadership - May 19, 2011
- BJP disqualifies six MLAs for cross-voting - Nov 18, 2011
- BJP expels Jammu and Kashmir leader Chaman Lal Gupta - Jun 01, 2011
- BJP expels six Jammu and Kashmir legislators - Oct 09, 2011
- 'Cancel assembly memberships of expelled BJP legislators' - Feb 19, 2012
- Expelled Jammu and Kashmir legislators to support Sangma - Jul 15, 2012
- Kashmir BJP workers protest against party legislator - Apr 14, 2011
- BJP suspends seven Kashmir legislators for cross-voting (Lead) - Apr 20, 2011
- Kashmir Congress elated as panchayat candidates win - May 18, 2011
- BJP to probe cross-voting in legislative council polls - Apr 14, 2011
Tags: ashok, bharatiya janata party, bjp candidate, chief whip, congress alliance, gupta, jugal, kashmir, lal, legislative assembly, legislative council elections, legislators, may 24, monday night, party leader, party whip, polls, rival parties