BJP is envious of Congress: ChidambaramDecember 20th, 2010 - 5:26 pm ICT by ANI
New Delhi, Dec 20 (ANI): Launching a sarcastic attack on the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP), Union Home Minister P Chidambaram on Monday described it as being envious of the Congress and its achievements over the past six years.
Addressing a Congress plenary session at Burari in northwest Delhi, Chidambaram said: “The BJP is envious with the Congress. There could be two reasons for it — one was the “electibility” of the Congress and the “re-electibility” of Congress.
“It is the Congress party which knows how to govern and how to get re-elected and govern the country for a second term,” he added.
“It is the Congress party alone which can govern the country for five years and go back to the people and ask for a mandate and get re-elected. The BJP had got one chance and failed,” he said.
He further said: “I have no doubt in mind, that in the next ten years, Congress-ruled Government will be there in Delhi.
He said between 1998 and 2004, when the BJP-led National Democratic Alliance was in power, the highest growth rate in any year that government could deliver was 6.4 per cent.
Look at the record of the BJP. Between 1999 and 2004, for five years, the highest growth rate delivered by the NDA government was 6.4 percent for a year. The lowest growth rate we have delivered in any year is the year in which we had an international financial crisis, and even in that year we delivered 6.7 percent,” he added.
Chidambaram also appealed to the Prime Minister, Dr. Manmohan Singh, to ask every minister of the government to send a quarterly report on the achievement of their respective ministry and department and Congress President Sonia Gandhi to seek a six-monthly report from the government.
Chidambaram also commended Dr. Singh’s sober, far-sighted and statesman-like roadmap.
“I will urge you to pay attention to that roadmap and build a country of our dreams.
Praising Congress General Secretary Rahul Gandhi, Chidambaram said: “If you closed your eyes and heard his voice, you could hear strains of Rajiv Gandhi’s voice 25 years ago.” (ANI)
- BJP won't rule in next 10 years: Chidambaram (Lead) - Dec 20, 2010
- BJP envious of Congress: Chidambaram - Dec 20, 2010
- Mayawati ignores common man, promotes corrupt: Rahul - Feb 15, 2012
- Lokayukta appointment to be our first action in Goa: Sonia Gandhi - Feb 26, 2012
- Sonia-led procession to herald Congress plenary - Dec 19, 2010
- After Sonia attack, BJP hits back - Jun 05, 2012
- Congress should tie up with BSP: Beni Prasad Verma - Mar 04, 2012
- Time wonders if 'underachiever' Manmohan can overcome (Third Lead, Changing dateline) - Jul 08, 2012
- MCD elections: BJP, Congress promise development - Apr 08, 2012
- Your supporters misleading you, Digvijay tells Anna (Roundup) - Oct 11, 2011
- Set precedent by refusing party chief's post: Gadkari to Sonia - Sep 03, 2010
- Your supporters misleading you, Digvijay tells Anna - Oct 11, 2011
- Congress president has five-year term now - Dec 19, 2010
- AICC reshuffle, CWC appointments very soon: Oscar Fernandes - Jan 24, 2011
- Indian American Upendra Chivukula to run for US Congress - Mar 28, 2012
Tags: bharatiya janata party, congress party, congress plenary, congress president sonia gandhi, dr manmohan singh, dr singh, electibility, general secretary, international financial crisis, manmohan, manmohan singh, national democratic alliance, nda government, no doubt, p chidambaram, plenary session, rahul gandhi, roadmap, second term, union home minister