BJP holds rally against Abdullah’s remarksOctober 7th, 2010 - 7:28 pm ICT by IANS
Jammu, Oct 7 (IANS) Around 30 Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) activists were injured Thursday in a cane charge by police when they were holding a protest march here against Chief Minister Omar Abdullah’s assertion that Jammu and Kashmir had acceded to — and not merged with — India.Angered by the observations made by Abdullah in the state legislative assembly on Wednesday when he decried BJP legislators for “harping on Kashmir being an integral part of India”, the party activists took out a protest rally in Jammu Thursday.
The police did not allow the protest march to proceed and resorted to heavy lathi charge. More than 30 BJP activists, including some women, were injured.
The BJP was upset with Abdullah’s assertion that Jammu and Kashmir had “acceded to and not merged with India”.
State unit spokesperson of the party, Ramesh Arora said: “The central government should wake up to the dangers looming large in J&K and on its ramifications.”
“Omar Abdullah should be dismissed without any delay,” Arora said.
However, some sections in Jammu are wondering why the BJP legislators did not object to the chief minister’s speech on Wednesday itself when they were sitting in the house.
The National Conference was part of the BJP-led National Democratic Alliance government at the centre and Omar Abdullah was a minister in the Atal Bihari Vajpayee government. He had stayed on as a minister even after the NDA government had rejected the autonomy resolution passed by the state assembly by a two-thirds majority.
- Ruckus over Omar speech in assembly, BJP MLA injured - Oct 07, 2010
- Omar's remarks: Protest sit-in staged outside assembly - Oct 08, 2010
- Omar's remarks shameful, fumes BJP - Oct 07, 2010
- BJP MLAs stage protest in Srinagar against Abdullah's speech - Oct 08, 2010
- No regrets over accession remarks: Omar - Nov 08, 2010
- Complete shutdown in Jammu against Omar's accession remark - Nov 08, 2010
- Endorse Omar's remarks or quit government, BJP tells Congress - Oct 09, 2010
- Scuffles, brawls in parliament, state assemblies (Timeline) - Sep 05, 2012
- Kashmir Pandit leaders slam Omar's statements - Oct 09, 2010
- Omar Abdullah said nothing objectionable on J-K accession, says Krishna - Oct 15, 2010
- Nothing wrong with Omar's Kashmir accession remarks: Krishna - Oct 15, 2010
- National Conference to decide on future course - Feb 17, 2011
- BJP launches protest against Omar for accession remark - Nov 02, 2010
- Omar's speech triggers ruckus in house, BJP member hurt (Lead) - Oct 07, 2010
- We can never forget Kashmir is a political issue: Omar - Mar 05, 2011
Tags: alliance government, assertion, atal bihari, autonomy resolution, central government, chief minister, india state, jammu and kashmir, kashmir, lathi, legislative assembly, legislators, national democratic alliance, nda government, oct 7, party activists, protest march, protest rally, ramifications, state assembly