BJP dissociates from Jethmalani’s remarks (Lead)October 26th, 2010 - 6:56 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Oct 26 (IANS) The Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) Tuesday dissociated itself from the remarks of its Rajya Sabha MP Ram Jethmalani about the party’s stance on Kashmir interlocutors, saying the BJP does not subscribe to his views.
“Jethmalani-ji is Jethmalani-ji. It may be his personal views. The party does not subscribe (to his views),” BJP spokesman Prakash Javadekar said.
Taking a different line from his party, Jethmalani Tuesday said it was “childish and churlish” to accuse the government’s interlocutors of internationalising the Jammu and Kashmir dispute simply by suggesting that Pakistan should be involved in the talks.
The BJP had criticised Dileep Padgaonkar, head of a three-member team of interlocutors, for saying that there was a need to involve Pakistan in any dialogue on Kashmir, India’s only Muslim-majority state where separatist violence has left thousands dead since 1989.
Javadekar said Padgaonkar was a well known journalist and should follow discretion.
“The interlocutors must observe discreetness. Indiscretion is irresponsible. They are not expected to give a running commentary and should work in a framework,” Javadekar said.
He also objected to the interlocutors meeting jailed militants who had crossed over from Pakistan.
“They can have a dialogue with any Indian but can’t have a dialogue with militants sent by Pakistan. He (militant sent by Pakistan) is not a stakeholder in Kashmir or India,” Javadekar said.
Jethmalani had earlier said that Padgaonkar and his team’s task of finding a “peaceful and lasting solution” to the Kashmir problem is “almost superhuman”. He said he prayed for their success despite having “serious misgivings” with their mission.
The interlocutors including academic Radha Kumar and information commissioner M.M. Ansari are in Jammu and Kashmir meeting a cross section of the people.
- Congress takes a dig at BJP over Jethmalani remarks - Oct 28, 2010
- Jethmalani backs Kashmir interlocutors over Pakistan - Oct 26, 2010
- Jethmalani supports Kashmir interlocutors, embarrasses BJP - Oct 26, 2010
- We know what we are talking about, says Padgaonkar - Oct 24, 2010
- J&K; parties boycott interlocutors' report - Sep 02, 2012
- BJP, Kashmir interlocutors trade hot words (Lead) - Oct 24, 2010
- Jammu parties boycott former interlocutors - Sep 02, 2012
- Interlocutors visit Kot Bhalwal jail in Jammu (Third Lead) - Oct 27, 2010
- BJP targets Padgaonkar, Nayar for attending Fai seminars - Jul 21, 2011
- BJP slams Kashmir interlocutors for Pakistan remark - Oct 24, 2010
- India, Pakistan should find solution to Kashmir issue: Geelani - Apr 28, 2011
- Kashmir interlocutors meet BJP leaders - Jan 17, 2011
- BJP, jailed separatists boycott interlocutors in Jammu (Night Lead) - Oct 28, 2010
- Kashmir panel meets migrants, activists - Jul 23, 2011
- Two interlocutors visiting Jammu Wednesday - Oct 25, 2010
Tags: ansari, bharatiya janata party, cross section, indiscretion, information commissioner, interlocutors, jammu, kashmir, kashmir india, kashmir problem, member team, misgivings, muslim majority, New Delhi, personal views, radha kumar, rajya sabha, ram jethmalani, separatist violence, stakeholder