BJP demands JPC probe into Sensex crashNovember 14th, 2007 - 2:25 am ICT by admin
“The earlier announcement by SEBI about its intention to regulate the PN followed by a late clarification by the Finance Minister only on following day after the crash, clearly exemplifies the complete mishandling of the situation by the government and its related agencies,” he added.
Alleging that the extreme volatility in the capital market also points towards the existence of a nexus between various persons and institutions who stand to gain from the volatility of the capital market, Javadekar said: “The extreme volatility witnessed during the last few sessions, was not based on logical fundamentals and became a case of pure and excessive speculation.”
The Bombay Stock Exchange’s (BSE) 30-share Sensex today opened with a huge negative gap of 1, 014 points.
Following this major crash, trading was halted for an hour. This was the third such instance in the last three years.
However at the end of the trading day, the Sensex recovered the loss considerably, closing at 18,715 levels, down 1.8 per cent or 336 points, after Chidmabaram ruled out any ban on investment through PN. (ANI)
- P-notes holders will not be taxed: Mukherjee - Mar 30, 2012
- Sensex gains 457 points; likely to remain bullish (Weekly market review) - Jul 01, 2012
- Sensex closes 345 points up on tax clarification - Mar 30, 2012
- 'Qualified foreign investors can directly invest in equity markets' - Jan 01, 2012
- Sensex rebounds after government defers GAAR (Roundup) - May 07, 2012
- Sensex closes flat on derivatives expiry, weak European cues (Roundup) - Jun 28, 2012
- Indian equities end in positive amid volatile trading (Weekly market review) - Sep 17, 2011
- Sensex closes flat, FMCG, PSU stocks up (Roundup) - Sep 13, 2012
- Indian markets quiet ahead of monetary policy - Jan 23, 2012
- Sensex closes 77 points lower (Lead) - Jan 04, 2011
- Sensex rises 63.33 points; capital goods, banking, realty stocks up - May 21, 2012
- Sensex at two-month high on eurozone revival hopes, GAAR (Roundup) - Jun 29, 2012
- Sensex down 31 points, banking, realty stocks fall - Aug 27, 2012
- Sensex rises 204 points on short covering, tax clarity (Roundup) - Mar 27, 2012
- Sensex manages to build on rally, closes 100 points up - Sep 08, 2011
Tags: alleging, bjp, bombay stock exchange, bse, clarification, excessive speculation, extreme volatility, finance minister, gap, jpc probe, nexus, parliamentary committee, pn, prakash, sebi, sensex crash, share market, share sensex, spokesperson