BJP demands Geelani, Arundhati Roy’s arrestOctober 26th, 2010 - 6:37 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Oct 26 (IANS) The Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) Tuesday demanded the arrest of separatist leader Syed Ali Geelani and writer-activist Arundhati Roy, terming their remarks on Kashmir as “objectionable” and “an attack on the country’s integrity”.
“There is a perfect case against Geelani-ji and Arundhati Roy. A FIR (first information report) should be filed and they should be arrested. The language they have used is objectionable and is attack on the country’s integrity,” BJP spokesman Prakash Javadekar said here.
The government has said it will take action against Geelani over his speech advocating azadi at a seminar here last week if it finds that he had violated laws against preaching sedition.
The BJP had strongly objected to Geelani and Roy’s speech at the seminar saying that the right to free speech cannot be used to target the country.
BJP leader Arun Jaitley had said that the country was stunned that a group of separatists had got together to hold a seminar to promote sedition under the nose of the government. He said that in a democracy, the right to secede cannot be accepted in the garb of right to free speech.
- Act against Roy, Geelani, demands Kashmiri Pandit group - Oct 26, 2010
- Geelani will be punished if sedition charges proved: Chidambaram (Lead) - Oct 22, 2010
- BJP women's wing holds protest at Arundhati's house - Oct 31, 2010
- Too much freedom of speech in India, says Farooq Abdullah - Oct 26, 2010
- Arun Jaitely criticises Centre for allowing pro-sedition conference in New Delhi - Oct 22, 2010
- Delhi Police file sedition case against Arundhati, Geelani - Nov 29, 2010
- Home Ministry gives 'go ahead' to Delhi Police to register case against Geelani - Oct 25, 2010
- Social activist files police complaint against Geelani, Arundhati Roy - Oct 29, 2010
- BJP demands arrest of Geelani, Arundhati Roy for sedition - Oct 26, 2010
- Book Geelani, Arundhati, says Delhi court (Second Lead) - Nov 27, 2010
- Chidambaram says police to take actions against speeches by Geelani - Oct 22, 2010
- Farooq Abdullah slams Kashmiri 'pro-freedom' lobby for 'seditious' remarks - Oct 26, 2010
- Sedition complaint filed against Arundhati Roy in Punjab - Oct 27, 2010
- Court notice to police on Geelani, Arundhati speeches - Nov 03, 2010
- Book Arundhati, Geelani for anti-India speeches: Delhi Court (Lead) - Nov 27, 2010
Tags: activist, ali, arundhati roy, azadi, bharatiya janata party, bjp demands, democracy, fir, free speech, garb, information report, integrity, ji, kashmir, New Delhi, sedition, separatist leader, spokesman