BJP concedes defeat, party parliamentary board begins meetingMay 16th, 2009 - 1:23 pm ICT by ANI
New Delhi, May 16 (ANI): Bharatiya Janata Party president Rajnath Singh on Saturday expressed his disappointment over the incoming election results, saying the BJP and the NDA never imagined it would be so devastating.
Virtually conceding defeat in the elections, Singh said: “We never imagined this unexpected result. We will sit today and assess where we went wrong.”
When asked whether the opposition National Democratic Alliance was in the process of breaking up, Singh said: “There is no break-up of the NDA.”
Senior BJP leaders like Singh, Balbir Punj, Prakash Javadekar and others have begun a BJP parliamentary party meeting at L.K. Advani’s residence to take stock of the results and the plan of action to be implemented ahead.
“Trends are not on expected lines. It is little disappointing….We concede UPA is ahead,” BJP spokesperson Balbir Punj said at an earlier press conference at the BJP office in Delhi, as trends indicated that the UPA was racing ahead.
Punj said the trends were also not along expected lines in the states of West Bengal, Andhra Pradesh, Tamil Nadu and Kerala for Third Front.
Admitting that Congress “seems to have the upper hand”, another BJP leader Venkaiah Naidu said “as of now UPA is leading. We are lagging behind.”
Asked what went wrong, Naidu said “that has to be analysed. It is disappointing, I do agree”. (ANI)
- BJP disappointed at 'unexpected' results, misses Vajpayee (Lead) - May 16, 2009
- States should have been consulted on NCTC, says BJP - Feb 17, 2012
- Gakari asks party functionaries, allies to exercise restraint - Jun 26, 2012
- Civic polls indicator for future: BJP - Apr 17, 2012
- SP, BSP, Trinamool bailout government on NCTC in Rajya Sabha (Third Lead) - Mar 20, 2012
- SP, BSP, Trinamool help government score in Rajya Sabha (Second Lead) - Mar 20, 2012
- Nobody has right to give fatwa on secularism: BJP - Jun 20, 2012
- BJP distances from Reddy brothers (Lead) - Sep 05, 2011
- Budget disappointing, will enhance inflation: BJP (Lead) - Mar 16, 2012
- Quartet of 'great economists' has failed India: Venkaiah Naidu - Jan 31, 2012
- Congress attacks BJP over Reddy's arrest; a conspiracy, says BJP - Sep 05, 2011
- Prepare for Lok Sabha polls anytime next year: Mulayam (Second Lead) - Mar 23, 2012
- BJP wing to hold Kisan parliament in Delhi Saturday - May 11, 2012
- BJP virtually accepts defeat - May 16, 2009
- Let PM speak on coal scam: BJP - Mar 22, 2012
Tags: andhra pradesh, balbir, bharatiya janata party, bjp leader, bjp leaders, disappointment, kerala, l k advani, national democratic alliance, nda, New Delhi, parliamentary party, party president, prakash, punj, rajnath singh, spokesperson, tamil nadu, unexpected result, west bengal