BJP acted troublesome with Hindutva agenda: BJDMarch 17th, 2009 - 11:00 pm ICT by ANI
Bhubaneshwar, March 17 (ANI): Having already deserted its old friend Bharatiya Janata Party just ahead of Lok Sabha elections, Biju Janata Dal (BJD) on Tuesday accused the BJP of attempting to implement Hindutva agenda in Orissa state.
The Naveen Patnaik-led BJD cherished political relations with Hindutva- -minded BJP for nearly a decade in Orissa.
Revealing the reasons that compelled his party to snap ties with the BJP, the BJD supreme and Orissas chief minister Naveen Patnaik revealed that the relations started getting sour for last six months.
“They (BJP) were creating disturbances for last six months. When government took bold steps to check trouble they started opposing,” said Naveen Patnaik told an election rally at Bhubaneswar on Tuesday.
“BJP tried to implement its Hindutva agenda in Orissa after realising that its vote base was declining. This was not acceptable to us,” said BJD MP Pyari Mohan Mohaptra, considered to be the main strategist of Patnaik.
Claiming that BJD was not responsible for the break up of the alliance, Mohapatra alleged that BJP had made up its mind earlier to quit coalition to pursue its ”communal aganda”.
“I am not responsible for the break up. I just placed the real picture before the BJD supremo on the dismal performance of the saffron party which was supposed to go to polls under Naveen Patnaik’’s leadership,” he said.
Mohapatra, often blamed by BJP leaders for the break-up, said the saffron party had no option but to work on its ”Hindutva agenda” to save its vote base.
The bureaucrat-turned-politician commented that BJP’’s popularity graph could be gauged from its poor show in recent civic polls. (ANI)
- Naveen Patnaik rules out supporting Congress - Mar 07, 2011
- Vote for party's Rajya Sabha candidates, BJD tells legislators - Jun 13, 2010
- Congress backs Orissa businessman for Rajya Sabha - Jun 07, 2010
- Naveen Patnaik to meet BJD leaders Friday (Lead) - Jun 01, 2012
- Biju Janata Dal fields three for Rajya Sabha poll - Jun 04, 2010
- BJP to abstain from Rajya Sabha poll in Orissa - Jun 06, 2010
- Orissa votes to elect three Rajya Sabha members - Jun 17, 2010
- Navin Patnaik to be re-elected as Orissa CM on Tuesday - May 19, 2009
- Naveen Patnaik suspends Mohapatra, drops two ministers - Jun 01, 2012
- Congress backs Orissa businessman for Rajya Sabha (Lead) - Jun 07, 2010
- Naveen Patnaik suspends Mohapatra, drops two ministers (Lead) - Jun 02, 2012
- Patnaik holds talks to mend fences in BJD - Jun 01, 2012
- Naveen Patnaik sworn in as Orissa Chief MinisterNaveen Patnaik sworn in as Orissa Chief Minister - May 21, 2009
- Biju Janata Dal wins all three Orissa Rajya Sabha seats (Lead) - Jun 17, 2010
- Congress never cared for poor but enriched itself, says Gadkari - Jan 17, 2011
Tags: aganda, bhubaneshwar, bhubaneswar, bjp leaders, bold steps, bureaucrat, chief minister, civic polls, dismal performance, election rally, lok sabha elections, march 17, mohan, naveen patnaik, old friend, orissa state, pyari, realising, saffron party, strategist