Bitter cold damages 70 per cent of potato crop in PunjabFebruary 15th, 2008 - 6:46 pm ICT by admin
Bhatinda (Punjab), Feb 15 (ANI): Cold wave conditions in Punjab have damaged most of the potato crop causing huge losses to farmers.
Potato producers of Bhatinda say that they have lost at least 70 per cent of their crop yield to severe cold and frost formation.
“With temperatures going down to minus two to three degrees in Punjab this year and due to the fog especially in our district, we are facing huge losses. The crops that we sowed in November are destroyed upto nearly 70 per cent,” said Harcharan Singh, a farmer.
Farmers who find themselves at the mercy of the weather are demanding that authorities compensate them for their losses.
“We want the Central Government and the Punjab Government to pay us the compensation that we deserve. The loss is nearly 15,000 rupees to 20,000 rupees per acre,” said Harbas Singh, another farmer.
Horticulture officials who estimate the loss to about 60 per cent said that if the weather continues to remain as it is, the farmers would incur greater losses.
“The seeds that were sown in late November have not started budding and because the temperatures have gone down the potato crop has been spoiled. The loss is approximately 50 to 60 per cent and if the situation continues to be the same the farmers may face even higher losses,” Narinderjit Singh, District Horticulture Office, Bhatinda. (ANI)
- Muskmelon crop hit by viral disease in Punjab - Apr 28, 2011
- Cold wave damages crop in Uttar Pradesh, worries farmers - Jan 12, 2011
- Agra growers in distress as potato goes cheap - Sep 13, 2011
- Punjab potato growers to dump crop in Jalandhar - Dec 12, 2011
- Showers, hail hit potato crop in Agra - Feb 26, 2011
- Poor tobacco harvest in Gonda - Feb 10, 2011
- Millions of potatoes carpet Jalandhar streets as farmers protest - Dec 15, 2011
- Lower seed potato and tomato yield in Himachal due to rains - Oct 13, 2010
- Potatoes hot property in Lahaul's cold deserts - Oct 25, 2011
- Fickle weather can take juice out of litchi this season - Apr 29, 2012
- Punjab, Haryana procure record 200 lakh tonnes of wheat - May 11, 2012
- As mercury dips further, Punjab farmers hope for a bumper wheat crop - Jan 07, 2010
- Crop loss to heat or cold wave a 'natural disaster'? - Apr 06, 2011
- In Bihar, the woes are not of farmers alone - Sep 21, 2010
- Chinese, American hops dash Himachal hopes - Nov 18, 2010