Birth anniversary of Guru Ram Dass being celebrated in Golden TempleOctober 9th, 2010 - 12:24 pm ICT by ANI
Amritsar, Oct 9 (ANI): Scores of devotees thronged the Golden Temple here on Saturday to take a dip in the holy pond and pay obeisance on the 476th birth anniversary of Guru Ram Dass, the fourth spiritual master of the Sikhs.
Devotees queued up since early in the morning for the occasion, which is considered very auspicious by the Sikhs.
Precious items of the ‘jalou’ were put on display for around two hours on the occasion.
The devotees earlier participated in special prayer meetings. Free langars (meals) have also been arranged, with prasad being distributed to mark the occasion.
Earlier on Friday, a colourful ‘Nagar Kirtan’ was taken out in the historic city to mark the beginning of the celebrations.
Guru Ram Dass Sahib also known as Jetha ji was born in 1534 at Chuna Mandi, which is presently in Punjab state of Pakistan.
He wrote 638 hymns in 30 ragas, which happen to be a part of Guru Granth Sahib, the holy book of Sikhs.
Guru Ram Dass is also the founder of the holy city of Amritsar. (ANI)
- Guru Ram Dass 475th anniversary celebrated - Oct 09, 2009
- Prayers, devotion mark Gurpurab in Punjab, Haryana - Nov 10, 2011
- Sikh Jatha visiting Pakistan on 474th birth anniversary celebrations of Guru Ram Das - Oct 06, 2008
- Procession held to mark 406th ceremony of installation of Guru Granth Sahib - Sep 01, 2010
- Sikhs converge at Gurdwara Taran Taran Sahib for Guru Arjan Dev's death anniversary - Jun 16, 2010
- Hindus greet Sikhs on Guru Gobind Singh birthday - Jan 01, 2011
- Printing of Guru Granth Sahib allowed abroad - Sep 22, 2010
- SGPC not averse to printing Guru Granth Sahib abroad - Feb 14, 2010
- Guru Nanak's birth anniversary celebrated with fervour (Lead) - Nov 21, 2010
- "Nagar Kirtan" taken out to mark Guru Granth Sahib's installation day - Sep 01, 2009
- Punjab celebrates Gurpurab - Nov 21, 2010
- From translation screens to ACs, gurdwaras go hi-tech (Feature) - May 02, 2012
- Devotees visit Amritsar's Golden Temple on Baisakhi - Apr 14, 2011
- Luxury train on Sikh pilgrimage across India sold out - Dec 26, 2010
- Sikh devotees celebrate Guru Parab - Dec 24, 2009
Tags: birth anniversary, celebrations, colourful, devotees, golden temple amritsar, guru granth sahib, holy city, holy pond, hymns, ji, mandi, nagar kirtan, obeisance, prasad, prayer meetings, ragas, ram dass, sikhs, special prayer, spiritual master