Bird flu hit West BengalDecember 16th, 2008 - 3:53 pm ICT by ANI
Malda (WB) Dec 16 (ANI): Outbreak of bird flu has been reported at English Bazar in Malda district of West Bengal.
According to District Magistrate Sridhar Ghosh, the high risk disease detection laboratory of Bhopal has confirmed this after examining blood samples of dead chicken.
“The culling operations in the area will begin after issuance of formal notification,” he added.
Authorities have asked people to refrain from sale, purchase and eating of poultry products. The move follows the death of more than 1,000 chicken in five villages under Narhatta Gram Panchayat in Malda district.
Earlier, the Central Government had send several bird flu experts to Assam to step up surveillance after nearly 100 people showed signs of suffering from the virus.
Three teams of Central medical experts, including epidemiologists and microbiologists, are keeping a close watch on humans in the affected areas of the State.
Medical teams have brought equipment as a preventive measure in case the virus spreads to humans, including 10,000 Tamiflu capsules, 6,000csurgical masks and two ventilators.
Veterinary officials have slaughtered over 300,000 chicken and ducks since late November, after the virus was detected in poultry last month in a village close to Guwahati.
The WHO has described the outbreak of bird flu in West Bengal last January, when more than four million birds were culled, as the worst ever in India. (ANI)
- Odisha orders poultry cull after detection of bird flu - Jan 11, 2012
- Bird flu: 7,000 fowls culled in Bhubaneswar - Feb 05, 2012
- Poultry culling begins in Meghalaya - Jan 12, 2012
- Bird flu: Odisha begins culling poultry birds - Jan 12, 2012
- Bird flu detected on Bangladesh farm - Nov 15, 2011
- Experts to study cause of bird flu outbreak - Mar 17, 2012
- Experts sent to Assam as humans show signs of bird flu - Dec 14, 2008
- 3,000 poultry culled over bird flu scare - Dec 27, 2011
- Bird flu: Culling of birds planned in Bhubaneswar (Lead) - Feb 04, 2012
- Bird flu case surfaces in Bhubaneswar - Feb 04, 2012
- Culling of birds starts in Bengal - Sep 20, 2011
- More poultry birds culled in Odisha - Jan 18, 2012
- Chicken culling starts, as bird flu strikes Tripura - Mar 08, 2011
- Hit by avian flu again, West Bengal's Malda begins culling - Dec 16, 2008
- Indian states bordering Bangladesh vulnerable to bird flu - Mar 23, 2011
Tags: bird flu, close watch, dead chicken, district magistrate, english bazar, epidemiologists, flu experts, formal notification, gram panchayat, malda, medical experts, medical teams, microbiologists, poultry products, preventive measure, risk disease, sridhar, tamiflu, veterinary officials, west bengal