Bird flu alert in MeghalayaJanuary 23rd, 2008 - 5:27 pm ICT by admin
Shillong, Jan 23 (ANI): Alarmed over the outbreak of bird flu in West Bengal, an high alert has been sounded in neighbouring Meghalaya to prevent the spread of the disease in that state.
According to state officials, all veterinary officials, especially those posted along the India-Bangladesh border have been directed to take preventive measures.
An extensive awareness campaign has also been introduced.
The State Government has already banned the entry of chickens in the state from outside. Additional gates have been set along the border to keep an eye.
Apart from this, the administration has sent around 100 blood samples of chicken from Ranikor, Borsora, Baghmara and other villages to Bhopal and Kolkata for tests. The Union Animal Husbandry and Health departments’ team will reach here today to review the situation.
The state Animal Husbandry and Veterinary department has already conducted surveillance, early detection and vaccination programmes.
So far, seven districts — Birbhum, Murshidabad, south Dinajpur, Burdwan, Nadia, Bankura and Malda — in West Bengal have been affected by bird flu.
About 160,000 poultry birds have been culled so far, while over 100,000 birds have succumbed to the disease. (ANI)
- Tripura on fresh bird flu alert, bans poultry imports - Nov 19, 2011
- Meghalaya sounds alert on bird flu - Feb 18, 2011
- Culling of birds starts in Bengal - Sep 20, 2011
- India confirms bird flu in Bengal, PM concerned - Sep 20, 2011
- Experts to study cause of bird flu outbreak - Mar 17, 2012
- Bird flu: 7,000 fowls culled in Bhubaneswar - Feb 05, 2012
- Chicken culling starts, as bird flu strikes Tripura - Mar 08, 2011
- Bird flu panic abates in Meghalaya - Feb 11, 2012
- Tripura, Mizoram on bird flu alert - Feb 25, 2011
- Tripura begins culling to contain bird flu - Jan 27, 2012
- Meghalaya culls 5,000 birds - Jan 18, 2012
- Over 26,000 poultry culled in bird flu-hit Murshidabad - Jan 20, 2010
- Bird flu: Culling of birds planned in Bhubaneswar (Lead) - Feb 04, 2012
- Bird flu: Culling begins in Tripura - Mar 08, 2011
- Poultry culling begins in Meghalaya - Jan 12, 2012
Tags: animal husbandry, awareness campaign, bankura, bird flu, blood samples, burdwan, dinajpur, flu alert, health departments, malda, meghalaya, nadia, preventive measures, shillong, state animal, state officials, vaccination, veterinary department, veterinary officials, west bengal