BIMSTEC Foreign Ministers preparing greater trade, connectivity agenda ahead of summitNovember 12th, 2008 - 3:01 pm ICT by ANI
New Delhi, Nov.12 (ANI): Foreign Ministers of the seven member countries of the Bay of Bengal Initiative for Multi-Sectoral Technical and Economic Cooperation (BIMSTEC) are currently meeting in the Indian capital to prepare the agenda for the one-day summit meeting of the grouping to be held here on Thursday.
Informed sources said the focus of Wednesday’’s meeting would be to look for ways to enhance trade and promote greater connectivity between India, Nepal, Bangladesh, Myanmar, Sri Lanka, Bhutan and Thailand.
Thursday’’s Second BIMSTEC Summit will be attended by Prime Minister Manmohan Singh, Nepalese Prime Minister Pushpa Kamal Dahal ”Prachanda”, Bangladesh’’s Chief Adviser Fakhruddin Ahmed, Myanmar Prime Minister Thein Sein, Bhutanese Prime Minister Jigmi Y Thinley, Sri Lankan President Mahinda Rajapakse and Thai Premier Somchai Wangsawat.
Rajapakse arrived in the Indian capital on Tuesday, while the other five leaders will arrive on Wednesday.
Trade, counter-terrorism, transnational crimes, tourism, fisheries and public health will be some of the issues taken up during the summit, besides reviewing the progress made on a proposed Free Trade Agreement (FTA) between BIMSTEC member states.
Current trade among BIMSTEC countries is estimated at 20 billion dollars. (ANI)
- BMISTEC leaders arrive in New Delhi ahead of summit - Nov 12, 2008
- BIMSTEC leaders to discuss terror, trade, transport - Nov 12, 2008
- BIMSTEC signs terrorism pact, pushes for early FTA (Lead) - Dec 11, 2009
- India for early free trade pact among BIMSTEC countries - Nov 13, 2008
- BIMSTEC to jointly fight terror, handle financial crisis - Nov 13, 2008
- Myanmar president to visit Bangladesh - Jun 25, 2012
- PM arrives in Myanmar - May 27, 2012
- Bhutan Prime Minister's visit to India - Oct 30, 2010
- 12th Ministerial meet of BIMSTEC begins in Myanmar - Dec 11, 2009
- PM leaves for Myanmar - May 27, 2012
- Manmohan Singh meets Myanmar President Thein Sein - May 28, 2012
- Bhutan PM meets S M Krishna in New Delhi - Nov 01, 2010
- Manmohan Singh leaves for Myanmar (Lead) - May 27, 2012
- Ahead of PM's visit India-Myanmar bus cleared - May 24, 2012
- Bhutan PM moots talks with India, Bangladesh on energy - Jan 14, 2011
Tags: bay of bengal, bhutanese, chief adviser, counter terrorism, dahal, economic cooperation, foreign ministers, free trade agreement, mahinda rajapakse, manmohan, manmohan singh, prachanda, prime minister manmohan, prime minister manmohan singh, pushpa, somchai, sri lankan president, summit meeting, thein, transnational crimes