Bill to set up AcSIR introduced in Lok SabhaJuly 30th, 2010 - 5:43 pm ICT by ANI
New Delhi, July 30 (ANI): Minister of State for Science and Technology Prithviraj Chavan introduced the Academy of Scientific and Innovative Research (AcSIR) Bill 2010 in the Lok Sabha on Friday that will enable the Council of Scientific and Industrial Research (CSIR) to start an academy to award post-graduate and doctoral degrees.
“The proposed legislation aims to establish the Academy for advancement of learning and promotion of research in the field of science and technology in association with the CSIR,” said Chavan.
The scientists, who are currently pursuing research in any of the 37 laboratories of CSIR across the country, have to register themselves at different universities.
Once the AcSIR is set up, it would enable registration of such researchers. In addition, the academy will also award post-graduate degrees.
The aim is to stem the growing shortage of skilled manpower in the science and technology industry and the dwindling numbers of PhDs.
The academy is expected to produce 1,000 PhDs in science and technology and about 120 PhDs in engineering annually from the fifth year onwards.
The institute is foreseen as a set-up that will network between the 37 CSIR laboratories, pool resources and faculty across these to create a national level academy with a strong research focus.
The headquarters of the institute is expected to be in Uttar Pradesh’s Ghaziabad city. (ANI)
- Rajya Sabha clears research academy bill - Dec 21, 2011
- Youth should undertake innovative research: Deshmukh - Sep 26, 2011
- Cabinet approves setting up of Academy of Scientific and Innovative Research - Jun 17, 2010
- Vice President Ansari calls for emphasis on education research - Aug 07, 2010
- Cabinet nod for science and innovative research academy - Jun 17, 2010
- Shortage of health staff in rural areas: Sonia Gandhi - Dec 21, 2011
- A Pakistani with two PhDs in four years - Jan 31, 2011
- Be smart about getting a PhD - Jan 15, 2011
- India to set up innovation centres to promote technology - Jun 01, 2011
- Emirates ruler grants $3.25 million - Feb 03, 2012
- Acute shortage of health staff in rural areas: Sonia (Lead) - Dec 21, 2011
- PM calls for gender audits in science institutions - Jan 03, 2012
- Indian Youth Science Congress to start Saturday - Jun 26, 2010
- Manmohan Singh asks universities to groom global leaders - Nov 22, 2010
- Jamia professor gets young scientist award - Dec 20, 2010
Tags: advancement of learning, aim, csir, doctoral degrees, ghaziabad, graduate degrees, innovative research, Lok Sabha, minister of state, New Delhi, phds in science, pool resources, post graduate, prithviraj, pursuing research, research focus, science and technology, skilled manpower, technology industry, uttar pradesh