Bill Gates lauds Indias initiatives on polio eradicationNovember 4th, 2008 - 9:29 pm ICT by ANI
New Delhi , Nov 4 (ANI): The Co-Chairperson of Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation, Bill Gates lauded India s initiatives on polio eradication here today.
He and his father William Gates Sr. called on Union Health and Family Welfare Minister Dr. Anbumani Ramadoss in New Delhi , today.
The senior members of the foundation met the Health Minister individually as well as in a Polio Round Table meeting.
During the meeting wide ranging issues from the health sector were discussed. Gates was apprised of strides made in key areas of Polio, National Rural Health Mission, Aids Control and Anti-tobacco efforts.
In the Polio Round Table, new initiatives taken by the Government for complete eradication of polio from the country were discussed.
Describing the polio programme of the Nation as a biggest health programme anywhere in the world which covers about 172 million children in one round, the Health Minister said that the initiative has consistently accounted for more Government funds in the annual budget than any other communicable disease programme.
The discussion also focussed on high risk regions and population at risk and intensified efforts to deal with the situation.
During the meeting Gates thanked the Government of India for making polio eradication a top priority. He congratulated work done in partnership with the Global Polio Eradication Initiative (including World Health Organisation (WHO), United Nations Children’’s Fund (UNICEF) ROTARY and CDC.) He expressed confidence that with additional tools to enhance current efforts, polio can be successfully eradicated in India .
Apart from Dr. Ramadoss and Bill Gates, the Polio Round Table was attended by senior officers of the Union Health Ministry and Planning Commission, senior members of the Gates Foundation, WHO, UNICEF and Rotary International. (ANI)
- A year of no polio: India triumphs, but risks remains - Jan 11, 2012
- A year of no polio: India triumphs, but risks remains (Lead) - Jan 11, 2012
- Bill Gates to meet Akhilesh - May 29, 2012
- Bill, Melinda Gates meet Health Minister Azad, discuss issues relating to polio vaccination - Mar 22, 2011
- Gates praises India for containing polio - May 31, 2012
- Bill Gates meets Ramadoss, officials for polio eradication - Nov 04, 2008
- Azad meets Bill, Melinda Gates - Mar 22, 2011
- India faces polio threat from Pakistan: Minister - Dec 20, 2011
- Hyderabad foundation gets $100,000 grant for polio vaccine - May 10, 2012
- US, UN and Islamic group join forces to fight polio - Dec 03, 2009
- Bill Gates discusses polio, other health related issues in Pakistan with Zardari - Apr 07, 2011
- Polio funds get a boost in India: Rotary International - Feb 10, 2012
- 'Ensure regular vaccination to make India polio free' - Feb 23, 2012
- A new 'Gate-way' for India's Africa diplomacy - May 31, 2012
- Indian Olympic athletes appeal to root out polio - Aug 02, 2012
Tags: additional tools, aids control, anbumani ramadoss, bill and melinda gates, bill and melinda gates foundation, bill gates, family welfare, fund unicef, global polio eradication, government funds, government of india, health minister, health ministry, health sector, melinda gates foundation, national rural health, national rural health mission, polio eradication initiative, william gates, world health organisation