Bill Clinton can be one of Hillarys chief assetsDecember 1st, 2008 - 7:21 pm ICT by ANI
Washington, Dec 1 (ANI): Former President Bill Clinton could be one of Hillary Rodham Clintons chief assets if she becomes Secretary of State in President-elect Barack Obamas Administration.
The Clinton brand is a good one. Her husbands administration is remembered fondly, maybe even more fondly in retrospect, after eight years of Bush, said Dana Allin, an expert on trans-Atlantic affairs at the London-based International Institute for Strategic Studies.
Bill is a popular guy in Europe, Politico quoted Constanze Stelzenmueller, director of the German Marshall Funds Berlin office, as saying.
He is very touchy-feely, and on a more serious note, he is educated. Europe felt taken seriously and understood during his administration. The hope is that some of that might rub off on his wife, Stelzenmueller said.
President-elect Obama is expected to announce his national security team after Thanksgiving, and Hillary Clinton is the odds-on favorite for Secretary of State.
Clintons selection came after her husband agreed to provide extensive financial disclosures to Obamas transition team and to ensure that his future activities overseas would not conflict, politically or financially, with his wifes role as the nations top diplomat, Politico reported.
Having Bill as a husband clearly gives Hillary additional stature, not to mention a finely tuned sounding board. And particularly in Europe, her appointment will be greeted with a sense of nostalgia.
In Great Britain, for example, there was a special bond between the Blair [administration] and the Clinton administration because they were both part of the same project finding a third way in the center left, said Allin.
But Hillary Clinton has star power in her own right, many analysts and officials said.
She is well known and respected on the continent for her trips there as a first lady, then for her work as a senator, particularly on the Armed Services Committee.
Despite the widespread support in Europe for Obama, who attracted a crowd of more than 200,000 when he spoke in Berlin in July, many Europeans favored Clinton, a known quantity, to be the next US president. (ANI)
- Obama, Cameron now bosom buddies: British daily - Mar 15, 2012
- Hillary Clinton's fondness for British Foreign Secretaries - Apr 16, 2011
- Eva enjoying life after divorce - Mar 20, 2011
- Obama presidency proving to be 'Clinton's third term': Newt Gingrich - Jan 22, 2011
- Brooke Shields flirts with hunky TV host - Jan 30, 2011
- Obama to Bill Clinton: Your wife is "all-around more impressive" - Sep 24, 2010
- Ashley Cole cozies up to Playboy model Kayla Collins - Dec 16, 2010
- Hillary Clinton 'tuned' for 2016 Presidency? - Oct 07, 2010
- Clinton ready to step off `high wire' of politics (Lead) - Jan 27, 2012
- Bob Woodward says Hillary Clinton as VP is 'on the table' - Oct 06, 2010
- Brit student says Indian-origin teacher begged for threesome with his pal - Nov 25, 2010
- Derek Hough flies in to UK to woo back Cheryl Cole - Feb 19, 2011
- Hillary Clinton excited about Obama trip to India - Oct 15, 2010
- Indian American to head US think-tank - Oct 26, 2011
- Ashley Cole parties with Playboy model Kayla Collins - Dec 16, 2010
Tags: allin, armed services committee, atlantic affairs, berlin office, financial disclosures, former president bill clinton, future activities, hillary clinton, hillary rodham, international institute for strategic studies, marshall funds, national security team, obama, odds on favorite, popular guy, president bill clinton, president elect, sounding board, touchy feely, transition team