Bhushans must clarify themselves on CD row: Digvijay SinghApril 21st, 2011 - 4:47 pm ICT by ANI
Lucknow, Apr 21 (ANI): Sharpening his attack against former law minister Shanti Bhushan, Congress General Secretary Digvijay Singh, commenting on the CD controversy, on Thursday said the Bhushans must clarify themselves on the incident and stop threatening people with a defamation suit.
Calling the allegations to be incorrect, he suggested that the Bhushans should sue Uttar Pradesh Chief Minister Mayawati.
“If Shanti Bhushan had to file a defamation suit, he should do it against the officer or Mayawati, who sent him a notice. I neither sent him any notice or said anything on the issue. Prashant Bhushan and Shanti Bhushan have conducted investigations to their CD and claimed they are innocent,” Singh told mediapersons in Lucknow.
According to reports, the Bhushans didn’t declare that a farmhouse given to them was from the Mayawati Government.
While declaring his assets last week, Shanti Bhushan, who is also a co-chairman of the drafting committee of the Lokpal Bill, mentioned a 10,000 sq m farmland plot in Noida.
But according to reports, he failed to mention the discretionary manner in which the Mayawati government, earlier this year, allotted this land to him and another 10,000 sq m farmhouse plot to his lawyer son Jayant Bhushan.
“I hope Shanti Bhushan clarifies the incident and doesn’t threaten people with a defamation suit,” he added.
Shanti Bhushan slapped a defamation notice against Digvijay Singh on Wednesday for accusing him of undervaluing a property he had bought in Allahabad and not paying adequate stamp duty.
In the notice, Bhushan mentioned that in a television interview, Singh even said that the lawyer had exerted pressure on the owner to sell him the property at a throwaway price. (ANI)
- I will answer Bhushan's notice in court: Digvijay Singh - Apr 21, 2011
- I will answer Bhushan's notice in court: Digvijay (Lead) - Apr 21, 2011
- Fresh allegations against Bhushans, Sonia distances from smear campaign(Intro Roundup) - Apr 20, 2011
- Bhushans sink deeper into controversy but fight back (Roundup) - Apr 20, 2011
- Lokpal Bill will be drafted irrespective of Bhushans past: Lokayukta Hegde - Apr 20, 2011
- Shanti Bhushan sends legal notice to Congress leader Digvijay Singh - Apr 20, 2011
- Amar Singh hits out at Bhushans - Apr 20, 2011
- Amar Singh denies doctoring CD - Apr 18, 2011
- Bhushans should resign from Lokpal panel: Amar Singh (Lead) - Apr 21, 2011
- PM firm on Lokpal bill as Bhushans fight more taint (Evening Lead) - Apr 21, 2011
- Congress, SP seeks explanation over land allotted to Bhushans in Noida - Apr 20, 2011
- Land not allotted through discretionary quota, say Bhushans (Lead) - Apr 20, 2011
- Bhushans said Noida land allotted through 'process' - Apr 20, 2011
- Shanti Bhushan demands apology from Digvijay - Apr 20, 2011
- Graft shadow over Lokpal panel; Civil society backs Bhushans (Intro Roundup) - Apr 22, 2011
Tags: allahabad, allegations, bhushan, chief minister, co chairman, defamation suit, digvijay singh, discretionary manner, drafting committee, farmhouse, farmland, general secretary, jayant, law minister, lawyer son, lucknow, Mayawati, shanti, stamp duty, television interview