Bhopal tragedy: Pranab defends Arjun Singh’s decision to release AndersonJune 13th, 2010 - 5:27 pm ICT by ANI
New Delhi, June 13 (ANI): Union Finance Minister Pranab Mukherjee on Sunday defended former Madhya Pradesh Chief Minister Arjun Singh’s decision to release Warren Anderson, then chairman of the Union Carbide, who was responsible for the Bhopal gas tragedy.
“It is clear in Arjun Singh’s statement, which he had made then that law and order situation was deteriorating. People frenzy was on high, therefore it was thought necessary to move out Warren Anderson,” Mukherjee said.
Mukherjee’s statement comes at a time when the Congress is under pressure to explain reasons that led to Anderson’s release.
Anderson was arrested on 7 December 1984 when the deadly methyl isocyanate (MIC) gas leak from Union Carbide’s Bhopal plant.
The gas leakage had killed thousands of people just five days ago.
Singh is believed to have ordered to release Anderson but opposition parties allege that he was instructed to do so by the Central Government led by then Prime Minister Rajiv Gandhi.
Anderson was charged with culpable homicide not amounting to murder, grievous assault and killing and poisoning human beings and animals. (ANI)
- Bhopal tragedy : Complaint filed against Arjun Singh - Jun 15, 2010
- Bhopal gas probe panel invites information - Aug 18, 2011
- Anderson can still be tried for Bhopal gas tragedy: Moily - Jun 08, 2010
- Bhopal tragedy: Shiv Sena demands action against Arjun Singh - Jun 16, 2010
- Supreme Court reopens Bhopal Gas Tragedy case - Aug 31, 2010
- Bhopal gas tragedy: CBI moves Delhi court for Anderson's extradition - Mar 22, 2011
- CBI never issued red corner notice against fugitive Anderson - Jun 08, 2010
- Government awaits more proof to renew Anderson's extradition plea - Jun 09, 2010
- Bhopal survivors burn Anderson's effigy - Dec 02, 2010
- Bhopal gas tragedy widows to get Rs.1,000 pension - Mar 31, 2011
- GoM on Bhopal gas tragedy to meet on Monday - Sep 26, 2010
- GoM on Bhopal gas tragedy to meet today - Sep 27, 2010
- Arjun Singh faces court complaint - Jun 15, 2010
- Will abide by Supreme Court's ruling on Bhopal: Moily - May 11, 2011
- Anderson promised safe passage before going to India, says former US diplomat (Lead) - Jun 15, 2010
Tags: arjun singh, bhopal gas tragedy, central government, chief minister, congress, culpable homicide, frenzy, gas leak, gas leakage, human beings, law and order, methyl isocyanate, New Delhi, opposition parties, pranab mukherjee, prime minister, rajiv gandhi, union carbide, union finance minister, warren anderson