Bhopal tense after vandalization of Ambedkar statue (Lead-Bhopal)November 14th, 2007 - 2:41 am ICT by admin
The residents of the area held one Bhola Ram Ahirawaar responsible for the damage to the statue and attacked his home and even set it on fire.
They alleged that Bhola Ram attacked the statue in a drunken state of mind.
Police had to resort to baton charge to stop the people from pelting stones on Bhola Ram. Eight policemen and four people were injured in the baton charge.
“By the time we reached the site, there were more than 700-800 people,” said Arvind Saxena, Additional Superintendent of Police, Bhopal.
The villagers have been assured that strict action would be taken against the culprits, said Saxena.
Police have registered a case against 400 people, while Bhola Ram has been arrested. (ANI)
- Bhopal tense after vandalization of Ambedkar statue - Nov 14, 2007
- Clashes over desecration of Ambedkar statues - Jan 23, 2012
- Prime accused in Mayawati statue vandalism held (Lead) - Jul 28, 2012
- Three Ambedkar statues vandalised in UP - Jul 28, 2012
- Three held for desecration of Ambedkar statues in Andhra (Lead, With corrections in paras 10, 11) - Jan 28, 2012
- Three held for desecration of Ambedkar statues in Andhra - Jan 28, 2012
- Mayawati statue vandalised in Lucknow, BSP stages protests (Lead) - Jul 26, 2012
- Four injured as villagers clash with police - Feb 20, 2012
- No bail for three accused of vandalising Mayawati statue - Aug 07, 2012
- Mahatma Gandhi's statue vandalised in Sri Lanka - Apr 07, 2012
- Praja Rajyam Party legislators protest baton charge on social activists in Hyderabad - Dec 06, 2010
- Six injured as villagers clash with police - Mar 05, 2012
- UP officials not taking Akhilesh seriously: BSP - Jul 30, 2012
- 20 injured as lawyers, officials clash - Mar 01, 2011
- 30 injured in Uttar Pradesh villagers' clash with cops - Apr 09, 2010
Tags: ambedkar, architect, arvind, assured, bhopal, culprits, dalits, drunken state, indian constitution, locals, noisy protest, policemen, saxena, set it on fire, strict action, superintendent, tense, vandalized