Bharatiya Kisan Union leader Tikait granted bailApril 2nd, 2008 - 7:02 pm ICT by admin
Muzzaffarnagar, Apr 2 (ANI): Bharatiya Kisan Union (BKU) leader Mahendra Singh Tikait, who was arrested here on Wednesday, was given bail a few hours later, ending a two-day standoff with the Mayawati Government.
A court in Bijnore gave bail to Tikait against whom a warrant of arrest had been issued on Monday under the Scheduled Castes/Scheduled Tribes Atrocities Prevention Act.
He was arrested in Muzaffarnagar, near his village Sisauli on Wednesday.
Earlier, UP Police arrested Tikait for his alleged casteist remarks against Uttar Pradesh Chief Minister Mayawati.
His arrest took place immediately after news spread that he was planning to surrender in a Bijnore court.
Supporters of Tikait demanded the withdrawal of all cases against him and other BKU leaders registered in Sisauli. They also asked the State Government not to oppose his bail plea.
On Tuesday, Tikait had announced he would not surrender, as his supporters did not want him to do so.
However, Tikait had showed signs of softening his stand by describing Mayawati as his daughter and expressing his willingness to withdraw his controversial remarks against her if she wanted him to.
On Sunday, he had allegedly made a derogatory reference against Mayawati at a farmers’ rally in Bijnore District.
The rally was organised by the Rashtriya Lok Dal (RLD) leader, Swami Omvesh. Following the alleged casteist remark, Bahujan Samaj Party (BSP) supporters went on a rampage. Thereafter, an FIR was lodged against the BKU leader at a police station.
Tikait’s sons Rakesh Tikait and Surendra Tikait are already under arrest. (ANI)
- Tikait, a farmers' leader who mastered the art of mass protests (Obituary) - May 15, 2011
- BKU leader Tikait arrested to enforce law: Mayawati - Apr 02, 2008
- Farmer leader Tikait dies (Lead) - May 16, 2011
- Tikait held, given bail - Apr 02, 2008
- Police files chargesheet against farmers leader Tikait - Jul 09, 2008
- Farmer leader Tikait dies - May 15, 2011
- UP to withdraw cases slapped against farmers - Aug 22, 2012
- Tikait arrested from his Muzaffarnagar home - Apr 02, 2008
- Thousands attend Tikait's cremation - May 16, 2011
- Tikait in Uttar Pradesh police net - finally - Apr 02, 2008
- Gadkari, Dikshit condole Tikait's death - May 15, 2011
- Tikait arrested from Muzaffarnagar - Apr 02, 2008
- Tikait's elder son arrested over clashes with police - Apr 01, 2008
- Rajnath, Paswan held for joining farmers' protest (Second Lead) - May 12, 2011
- Tikait ready to surrender in court - Apr 02, 2008
Tags: atrocities, bail plea, bku, chief minister, controversial remarks, derogatory reference, kisan, mahendra singh, Mayawati, muzaffarnagar, police station, prevention act, rakesh, rampage, rld, standoff, surendra, swami, union leader, warrant of arrest