Best efforts to be made for Sarabjit Singhs release: Sriprakash JaiswalMarch 17th, 2008 - 6:25 pm ICT by admin
New Delhi, Mar 17 (ANI): Minister of State for Home Affairs, Sriprakash Jaiswal today said that the centre would make best possible efforts to secure the release of Sarabjit Singh, who is likely to be hanged on April 1.
“We should not lose hope and even today we shall make the best possible efforts to do our best,” said Jaiswal.
Minister of State for External Affairs Anand Sharma also said that not only will Sarabjit’s case be taken up in right earnest, but the Government would also urge the Pakistan government to deal humanely with other Indian prisoners languishing in Pakistan.
It may be recalled that in an attempt to put a pressure on the Governments of India and Pakistan, Dalbir Kaur, the sister of Sarabjit Singh, had earlier threatened self-immolation.
Pakistan President Pervez Musharraf has rejected a mercy plea of Sarabjit close on the heels of the release of Kashmir Singh, another death row prisoner who was recently released by the neighbouring country.
Pakistan’s Supreme Court rejected Sarabjit’s mercy petition in March 2006. He has been awarded capital punishment for his alleged involvement in four bomb blasts in Pakistan in 1990.
The Indian Government has pressed for clemency for Sarabjit, but has not made a formal request on his behalf. (ANI)
- Krishna raises Sarabjit issue with Zardari - Sep 08, 2012
- Sarabjit's family on indefinite fast; meets Krishna (Second Lead) - Jun 28, 2012
- Sarabjit's family meets Krishna - Jun 28, 2012
- Krishna assures family of Sarabjit's release (Lead) - Jun 28, 2012
- Salman's initiative will help in Sarabjit release: Dalbir Kaur - Jul 02, 2012
- Sarabjit to meet sister -- after 21 years - Jun 16, 2011
- Sarabjit's family shattered by Pakistan's 'cruel joke' (Lead) - Jun 27, 2012
- Sarabjit's family to protest at Jantar Mantar - Jun 28, 2012
- Conditions favourable in Pakistan for Sarabjit's release: Sister - Jul 05, 2011
- Sarabjit's family elated in Punjab - Jun 26, 2012
- Jubilation to despair for Sarabjit's family - Jun 27, 2012
- I regret the day Surjeet Singh got released: Dalbir Kaur - Jul 02, 2012
- Fresh evidence says Sarabjit is innocent: Pakistani lawyer - Dec 06, 2010
- Pakistan to release Sarabjit Singh soon, says lawyer - Sep 07, 2012
- Sarabjit's lawyer meets Badal - Aug 19, 2009
Tags: best efforts, bomb blasts, clemency, country pakistan, death row prisoner, external affairs, formal request, home affairs, india and pakistan, indian government, indian prisoners, jaiswal, mercy petition, minister of state, neighbouring country, pakistan government, pakistan president pervez musharraf, pervez musharraf, president pervez musharraf, self immolation