Benefits of economic growth should reach every segment of society: President PatilAugust 13th, 2010 - 10:29 pm ICT by ANI
Thiruvananthapuram (Kerala), Aug 13 (ANI): President Pratibha Devisingh Patil on Friday said the benefits of India’s economic growth should reach every segment of society to build a more equitable and sustainable society.
After inaugurating a Lotus shaped ‘Parnasala’ (education hall) built in memory of the founder Guru of Santhigiri in Pallipuram, President Patil said: “Our endeavour, therefore, should be that the benefits of economic growth of our country should reach every segment of society. No one should be left behind, and everyone should have a life of dignity.”
“Women have great potential to bring about change in society. They need to be given access to education, health and skill building- the tools of empowerment. By spreading education amongst them, not only is an individual educated, but rather the seeds of progress for the next generation are planted,” she added, giving emphasis on the need of educating women as a tool to bring change in the society.
Underlining the work being done by the ashram to improve socio-economic condition of the people, President Patil said to improve the economic status, the route of cooperatives and self help groups supported by credit, production and marketing support have been useful.
“I am glad to know that Santhigiri Ashram has undertaken projects which give women an opportunity to build their capacities, develop skills and also work in cottage industry units,” she added.
Kerala Governor R S Gavai and Thiruvananthapuram MP Shashi Tharoor attended the event along with a host of other dignitaries. (ANI)
- After decades in Israel, Jews from Kerala come visiting - Jan 26, 2012
- President to inaugurate Rs.30 crore prayer hall in Kerala - Aug 07, 2010
- NRI plans ayurveda medical college in UAE - Sep 10, 2010
- President Patil lauds Bihar Govt. for spreading education - Mar 22, 2011
- President Patil underlines need for development of North-East - Mar 10, 2011
- Welfare scheme for jobless Non-Resident Keralites - Jun 24, 2011
- President arrives in Kerala on three-day visit - Aug 29, 2011
- Teach girls martial arts for self-protection: President - Nov 02, 2011
- Patil calls for continued efforts for women empowerment - Nov 19, 2010
- President Patil felicitates first women paramilitary regiment in Delhi - Mar 08, 2011
- People achieve self-dignity through education: Patil - Nov 19, 2009
- President Patil greets women on International Women's Day eve - Mar 07, 2011
- Empowerment of women will require a multi-pronged approach: President Patil - Mar 15, 2011
- Kerala to launch virtual classrooms in 34 ITIs - May 14, 2012
- Fruits of growing Indian economy not being enjoyed by all: Mukherjee - Apr 08, 2011
Tags: ashram, benefits of economic growth, cooperatives, dignitaries, dignity, economic condition, economic status, education hall, education health, empowerment, endeavour, great potential, guru, kerala, left behind, self help groups, shashi tharoor, society president, sustainable society, thiruvananthapuram