Belgium King given ceremonial reception in New DelhiNovember 4th, 2008 - 2:30 pm ICT by ANI
New Delhi, Nov 4 (ANI): The King of Belgium, Albert II, who is on a ten-day visit to India, was given a ceremonial reception in New Delhi on Tuesday.
The monarch and the Belgian delegates met President Pratibha Patil and Prime Minister Dr. Manmohan Singh.
Accompanied by Queen Paola, the Belgian monarch heads a high powered delegation, including Foreign Minister Karel De Gucht and CEOs of key Belgian companies and top officials of universities of the European nation.
Later in the day, Union Minister of Commerce and Industry Kamal Nath would hold a meeting with the Belgian monarch and his delegation.
Nath is likely to discuss plans for setting up a base in India and to apprise his counterpart about the favourable demographic profile of India.
Apart form this, the matters regarding standardization and testing facilities, early conclusion of trade and investment agreement, participation in development of Indian infrastructure in a substantial manner are also likely to be discussed.
The visit is expected to give a major boost to the economic and academic relationship between Belgium and India.
A number of commercial agreements between Belgian and Indian companies are expected to be signed during the visit.
The universities of India and Belgium will ink strategic memoranda of understanding to create a framework for more intensive people to people relations.
A Belgian Embassy statement said that the State visit by the King and the Queen of Belgium will reinforce and deepen the long standing and excellent relations between India and Belgium.
During his visit, the King will also attend a seminar of Climate Change and Eco Technologies at The Energy Research Institute (TERI) and meet R. K. Pachauri and J. P. Van Ypersele, chairman and vice-chairman of the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change.
He is also expected to visit Mumbai, Hyderabad and Chennai during his stay in India. (ANI)
- King of Belgium arriving today - Nov 03, 2008
- Belgium King on 10 day visit to India (Update) - Nov 03, 2008
- Belgian King pays obeisance at Bangla Saheb shrine in New Delhi - Nov 05, 2008
- Belgian king to visit India Nov 3 - Oct 25, 2008
- India, Belgium boost ties, call for new financial order - Nov 05, 2008
- Belgian king's discovery of India begins Monday - Nov 01, 2008
- India to sign nuclear deal with Belgium - Nov 10, 2008
- India, Belgium trade to go beyond diamonds - Dec 12, 2010
- US Sikh group seeks Kamal Nath's prosecution in Belgium - Oct 07, 2011
- Belgium Prince to strengthen bilateral ties with India - Mar 22, 2010
- Belgium to help India modernise railway stations - Aug 02, 2012
- EU trade chief to visit Singapore, Vietnam and India - Feb 25, 2010
- Gurdwara raid casts shadow on Belgian king's visit to India (Lead) - Nov 02, 2008
- Gurdwara raids cast shadow on Belgian king's visit to India - Nov 02, 2008
- EU-India free trade talks reach decisive moment: Official - Dec 09, 2010
Tags: academic relationship, albert ii, belgian companies, belgian embassy, commercial agreements, demographic profile of india, dr manmohan singh, energy research institute, indian infrastructure, intergovernmental panel on climate change, investment agreement, kamal nath, karel de gucht, king and the queen, king of belgium, manmohan singh, memoranda of understanding, minister of commerce, president pratibha patil, substantial manner