Belgian King pays obeisance at Bangla Saheb shrine in New DelhiNovember 5th, 2008 - 7:06 pm ICT by ANI
New Delhi , Nov 5 (ANI): Belgian King Albert II and Queen Paola visited Bangla Saheb Gurdwara in New Delhi on Wednesday.
King Albert II, who is on a nine-day visit to India , offered prayers at the Shrine.
The King Albert II and Queen Paola were felicitated with a ceremonial sword, an honour by the Delhi Sikh Gurdwara Management Committee (DSGMC).
We have welcomed him according to our traditional Sikh custom, this will improve not only the relations between India and Belgium but also the image of the Sikhs living in Belgium will go higher, said Paramjeet Singh, Sarna, Chairman, Gurudwara Management Committee.
The King and the Queen also inaugurated a ”langar” (community kitchen) on the premises of the Gurudwara.
The Belgian monarch heads a high powered delegation, including Foreign Minister Karel De Gucht and CEOs of the key Belgian companies and top officials of universities of the European nation.
The monarch and the Belgian delegates had met President Pratibha Devisingh Patil and Prime Minister Dr. Manmohan Singh on Tuesday.
The visit is expected to give a major boost to the economic and academic relationship between Belgium and India .
A series of commercial agreements between Belgian and Indian companies are expected to be signed during the visit.
The universities of India and Belgium will ink strategic Memoranda of Understanding (MoU) to create a framework for more intensive people to people relations. (ANI)
- King of Belgium arriving today - Nov 03, 2008
- Belgium King on 10 day visit to India (Update) - Nov 03, 2008
- Belgian king to visit India Nov 3 - Oct 25, 2008
- Belgium King given ceremonial reception in New Delhi - Nov 04, 2008
- Pakistani law officer pays quiet visit to Delhi gurdwara - Mar 26, 2012
- Gurdwara raid casts shadow on Belgian king's visit to India (Lead) - Nov 02, 2008
- Gurdwara raids cast shadow on Belgian king's visit to India - Nov 02, 2008
- India, Belgium trade to go beyond diamonds - Dec 12, 2010
- Belgian king's discovery of India begins Monday - Nov 01, 2008
- India, Belgium boost ties, call for new financial order - Nov 05, 2008
- India to sign nuclear deal with Belgium - Nov 10, 2008
- Akal Takht summons Sarna over his remarks against Phoolka - Jul 21, 2010
- After gurdwara raid row, Belgian king visits Sikh shrine - Nov 06, 2008
- Devotees visit Amritsar's Golden Temple on Baisakhi - Apr 14, 2011
- Sikh bodies ask Govt to include Kartarpur Corridor in Indo-Pak talks - Mar 03, 2011
Tags: academic relationship, albert ii, belgian companies, ceremonial sword, commercial agreements, community kitchen, delhi sikh gurdwara management, dr manmohan singh, gurudwara, karel de gucht, king albert ii, king and the queen, living in belgium, manmohan, manmohan singh, memoranda of understanding, obeisance, pratibha devisingh patil, sarna, sikh gurdwara management committee