Beijing Olympics most watched event in U.S. TV historyAugust 27th, 2008 - 6:43 pm ICT by ANI
Washington, August 27 (ANI): NBC’’s round-the-clock coverage of the 2008 Summer Olympics has been declared the most watched event in U.S. TV history.
Statistics released by Nielsen Media Research show that the coverage reached 214 million viewers.
The study also revealed that Michael Phelps” acquisition of a record eight gold medals, the triumph of the itty-bitty Chinese women’’s gymnastics team and the U.S. “Redeem Team’’s” total domination over all comers in basketball helped the Beijing games surpass the previously most-watched event of all timethe 1996 Summer Olympics in Atlanta.
While the Beijing games blew the Atlanta Olympics by 5 million viewers, it surpassed Athens by 11 million.
“This audience record is something I thought I”d never see again, but what really satisfied me is the way in which these Olympics truly captivated and seemed to inspire our country,” E!online quoted Dick Ebersol, chairman of NBC Universal Sports & Olympics and executive producer of the network’’s Olympics coverage, as saying.
“For me, the greatest measure of success at an Olympics is the number of messages I receive from parents of young kids who have fallen in love with the Olympics. That child means more to me than anything because I think a love affair with the Olympics is the greatest in all of sports,” he added.
However, the study also revealed that the closing ceremony in Atlanta attracted more viewers (34.1 million) than Sunday’’s finale (27.8 million). (ANI)
- NBC sells $1 billion ads for Olympics 2012 - Jul 26, 2012
- Kardashian sizzles in Barbarella inspired bikini-ad - Nov 11, 2010
- Are Prince William & Kate Middleton too boring for NBC? - Apr 19, 2011
- India-Australia series the most watched Down Under (Lead) - Jan 07, 2012
- India-Australia series the most watched Down Under - Jan 07, 2012
- 2010 Super Bowl most-watched TV show in history - Feb 09, 2010
- 'America's Got Talent' returns - Jun 01, 2011
- Canadian National Anthem Sung In Opening Ceremony Of Vancouver Winter Olympics - Feb 13, 2010
- 4-year-old preacher Kanon Tipton enthralls audiences - Aug 17, 2011
- London Olympics can see a record number of Indian shooters - Jun 12, 2011
- The Tonight Show's ratings drop despite having Jay Leno on board - Sep 07, 2010
- 24.5 million watched royal wedding on terrestrial TV - May 01, 2011
- First torchbearer for Olympic torch relay announced - May 11, 2012
- 'American Idol' Summer Tour To End Early On August 31 - Jul 10, 2010
- New Zealand to send 185 athletes to London Olympics - Jul 09, 2012