Becks wants to coach Team Great Britain for London OlympicsAugust 25th, 2008 - 12:33 pm ICT by ANI
London, Aug 25 (ANI): England midfielder and global sports icon David Beckham kicked off the countdown to the London Olympics, and revealed that he could be a coach for Team Great Britain in 2012.
Beckham sent 91,000 spectators into a frenzy at Beijings National Stadium when he appeared from within a red London bus at Sundays closing ceremony.
He revealed that he could coach an all-star Great Britain football team at the 2012 games, with his old Manchester United boss Sir Alex Ferguson as manager.
We deserve to have a football Team GB at the Olympics and I hope it gets sorted, said LA Galaxy midfielder Beckham.
Beckham will be 37 in 2012 and said it is unlikely that he will play. But asked if he would take a key role, he said: I think its possible.
Olympic hero Lord Coe, head of the 2012 organisers, has already asked Ferguson to manage the side, The Sun reported.
Britain has been barred from Olympic football because England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland compete separately in international matches.
But Prime Minister Gordon Brown is determined to resolve the issue and has held talks with footballs governing body FIFA.
On Sunday, Portsmouth manager Harry Redknapp admitted that he would love the job.
He said: Would I take it if they offered it to me? Absolutely Id be a fool not to. The biggest problem Id have is who to leave out.
Mayor Boris Johnson will fly the Olympic flag at City Hall after he returns on Tuesday. The Mayor said he was humbled by the honour of receiving the banner. (ANI)
- Beckham left out of Britain's Olympic squad - Jun 28, 2012
- Beckham in line to captain Great Britain team for London Olympics - Dec 27, 2010
- Rooney won't play Euro 2012, Olympics: FA - Apr 22, 2012
- Coe backs Beckham as coach of British 2012 Olympic football team - Jan 03, 2011
- Lampard backs uncle Redknapp to be England's next boss - Nov 06, 2010
- Britain's Olympic coach Pearce to assess Beckham in US - Apr 25, 2012
- Beckham, five young guns to bring Olympic Flame to UK - May 16, 2012
- Beckham to be part of opening ceremony - Jul 25, 2012
- Beckham asked to prove his place in Olympics team - Oct 20, 2011
- FA denies Redknapp, Beckham 'dream team' replacing Capello - Jan 07, 2011
- Spalletti backs Guardiola, Semak for Russia post - Jul 11, 2012
- Coe promises 'safe and secure' Games - Jul 21, 2012
- Beckham backs Giggs as Britain Olympic team's skipper - Jul 13, 2012
- Beckham likely to join Tottenham Hotspur on three-month deal - Jan 02, 2011
- England FA sees Tottenham boss Redknapp as one of Capello's successors - Dec 06, 2010