Becks admits that he cant keep up with WalcottOctober 13th, 2008 - 3:10 pm ICT by ANI
London, Oct.13 (ANI): Former England football captain David Beckham has said that he has no chance of keeping up with the lightning-quick pace of Theo Walcott.
Walcott, 19, announced his arrival at international level with a stunning hat-trick in the 4-1 win in Croatia and kept his place on the right side of midfield against Kazakhstan on Saturday.
But Beckham demonstrated that he is not ready to hand over the baton just yet with an impressive substitute display at Wembley on Saturday.
He received a standing ovation when he replaced Walcott with 11 minutes remaining and was cheered every time he touched the ball.
He also made an impact on the match, producing the free kick from which striker Wayne Rooney scored his second and Englands fourth goal in their 5-1 success.
Im pleased that I came on and got involved. Its one of the things you have substitutes for to come on and create goals and chances. Thankfully I managed to create a couple against Kazakhstan that helped the team. But it does not matter about individual performances too much, The Sun quoted Becks, as saying.
Theo has been great and he played well again and you see what a good player and how big a threat he is. Once he gets the ball and runs at players, no one can get near him. He deserves to be where he is because hes an exceptional talent, Becks added.
Walcott started brightly against Kazakhstan, creating an early chance for Emile Heskey and causing plenty of trouble for the visiting defenders.
He did not manage to make a major impact in the second half but was sensible enough to realize that he cannot always expect to grab the glory. (ANI)
- Defoe scores hat-trick as England beat Bulgaria 4-0 - Sep 04, 2010
- Rooney not leading a "one-man" English team in World Cup - May 11, 2010
- Rooney's professional performance against Switzerland puts sexcapade on backburner - Sep 08, 2010
- Walcott to miss England's World Cup qualifier against Ukraine - Sep 10, 2012
- Welbeck on wonder goal: I knew it was coming - Jun 16, 2012
- Walcott says 'fantastic' Beckham is the perfect football professional - Aug 13, 2010
- Beckham to help 'dumped' Walcott deal with despair - Jun 04, 2010
- Walcott taking tips from David Beckham - May 28, 2010
- Capello looks for right World Cup mix for England (Group C team profile) - May 28, 2010
- Three key decisions that Capello has to make - May 31, 2010
- Rooney kept out of England squad for Spain, Sweden friendlies - Nov 07, 2011
- Walcott surprised by his own Roanldo dip - Jun 16, 2012
- Euro 2012: Welbeck flick gives England 3-2 win over Sweden (Lead) - Jun 16, 2012
- Erikkson surprised at Walcott's omission - Jun 04, 2010
- Capello asks team to learn from mistakes made in Brazil defeat - Nov 15, 2009
Tags: captain david, croatia, david beckham, emile heskey, england football, football captain, free kick, hat trick, kazakhstan, london, match, midfield, pace, second half, standing ovation, sun, theo walcott, wayne rooney, wembley