Batman director being sued for ‘’stealing Turkish city’’s name”November 11th, 2008 - 5:24 pm ICT by ANI
London, Nov 11 (ANI): The director of the latest Batman film is being sued by a Turkish mayor, who claims the helmer stole the name of his city.
The Mayor of Batman, an ancient oil-producing city in southeastern Turkey, is looking forward to get royalties if he is successful in suing Christopher Nolan, the director of The Dark Knight.
Huseyin Kalkan, the pro-Kurdish Democratic Society Party mayor of the city, claims that American producers used the citys name without permission.
“There is only one Batman in the world. The American producers used the name of our city without informing us,” the Telegraph quoted him, as saying.
Kalkan has also blames a series of unsolved murders in his city on the psychological impact of the film’’s success.
Ex residents of the city also claim that Hollywood executives have barred them from using the name of their hometown when setting up businesses abroad.
As part of his case, Kalkan will produce evidence proving that the town’’s Neolithic origins predate the 1939 debut of the comic hero. (ANI)
- 'Dark Knight Rises' Make Batman Fans Expectant - Jan 20, 2011
- 'The Dark Knight Rises' biggest story I've told: Christopher Nolan (Interview) - Jul 11, 2012
- 'The Dark Knight Rises' - dark, knightly and rises to expectations (IANS Movie Review) - Jul 20, 2012
- Inmates set prison on fire in Turkey - Jul 15, 2012
- 'The Dark Knight' sequel to hit screens in 2012 - May 02, 2010
- Plans to reinvent Batman after 'Dark Knight Rises' revealed - Mar 31, 2011
- Batman 3 movie title revealed - Oct 28, 2010
- Sequel of 'The Dark Night' to Hit Screens in 2012 - May 03, 2010
- Nolan announces 'Batman 3' title - Oct 28, 2010
- Robin Williams Wants A Role In Next Batman Movie - Jun 30, 2010
- No Joker In "Batman 3"? - Jul 17, 2010
- Actor Tom Hardy To Be In Third Batman Movie - Oct 14, 2010
- Nolan taking inspiration from 'Superman' for remake - Jun 29, 2010
- Robin Williams in 'Dark Knight Rises' - Jan 31, 2011
- 'The Dark Knight Rises' Not The Last Batman Movie For Christian Bale? - Jan 23, 2011
Tags: american producers, batman, batman film, christopher nolan, comic hero, dark knight, debut, democratic society, helmer, hollywood, hollywood executives, hometown, huseyin, neolithic, origins, psychological impact, royalties, southeastern turkey, turkish city, unsolved murders