Barbie maker Mattel wins legal battle over MGA Entertainments Bratz dollDecember 5th, 2008 - 5:25 pm ICT by ANI
London, Dec 5 (ANI): MGA Entertainment, the manufacturer of pouty-lipped Bratz doll, has lost its legal battle with the worlds largest toy importing company and maker of Barbie, Mattel.
Mattel had sued MGA Entertainment for manufacturing the Bratz doll, which had taken over a huge chunk of Barbie’’s worldwide market share ever since it was launched in 2001, as they claim to have exclusive rights to the product.
California district judge Stephen Larson granted the right to Mattel, and ordered MGA Entertainment to stop making or selling its popular multi-ethnic figures.
The ruling came after the jury decided in July that MGA’’s dolls were infringing the Barbie manufacturer’’s copyright as the doll’’s designer, Carter Bryant, had come up with the idea for the streetwise fashion figures while working for Mattel and secretly taken the concept to MGA.
This is a large win for Mattel, if upheld, as it effectively removes Bratz from the competitive landscape, the Telegraph quoted Tim Conder, a Wachovia Capital Markets analyst, as saying.
This is obviously much more important and critical than any one-time monetary damages, he added.
According to the US National Retail Federation, Barbie remained the top girls toy this year with Hannah Montana dolls overtaking Bratz as the number two favourite and Bratz dropping to fourth place. (ANI)
- Barbie company to get $100 mn in Bratz case - Aug 27, 2008
- New Barbie dolls for Olympics 2012 - Jul 26, 2012
- Recession hits 50-year-old Barbie but not Lego, other heritage brands - Dec 25, 2009
- Barbie doll creator dead - Jul 24, 2011
- Iran shutting down shops selling Barbies? - Jan 22, 2012
- Lady Gaga sued for $10 million - Jul 26, 2012
- Ken and Barbie's fate put to Facebook vote - Feb 09, 2011
- New dolls on Pattinson, Stewart 'Twilight' wedding - Jan 12, 2012
- Barbie turns 50, looking better than many 20-year-olds - Mar 08, 2009
- Fashion dolls plot to edge out Barbie, 50 - Feb 06, 2009
- Are Barbie and Ken getting together again after 43 yrs? - Feb 07, 2011
- "Barbie Video Girl" - A Trap Set By Pedophiles? - Dec 24, 2010
- "Mad Men" Star Christina Hendricks' No Curves Doll Grabs Attention - Aug 09, 2010
- After Katrina, Hrithik may walk the ramp for kids - Jan 13, 2012
- Barbie maker's new dolls that 'have to wax' spark outrage - Mar 12, 2011
Tags: barbie mattel, bratz, bratz doll, california district, capital markets, chunk, district judge, dolls, entertainments, hannah montana, mattel, mga entertainment, monetary damages, national retail federation, stephen larson, telegraph, tim conder, top girls, wachovia, worldwide market share