Barbers agitate in ManipurMarch 9th, 2009 - 7:05 pm ICT by ANI
By L. Chinglen K. Singh
Imphal: The killing of a 22-year old barber by unidentified gunmen has spared off agitation in the capital of the State.
Unidentified gunmen shot dead Suresh Thakur and Raj Kumar Choudhury at Sagolband Ingudam Leikai and Kwakeithel Bazar in Manipur recently.
It is suspected that Suresh Thakur, a 22-year-old barber was shot dead inside his hair-cutting saloon by miscreants who came to the saloon on the pretext of having a haircut.
Raj Kumar Choudhury, an 18-year-old sugarcane juice seller, was also shot dead the same day. People of the locality are criticising the government for its inaction.
The All Manipur Barbers” Association (AMBA) took out a silent rally condemning the heinous act. Pappu, a member of the All Manipur Barbers” Association asked “Why are they killing innocent people? What is the reason? What is the fault of our brother? They should think about it. We want an answer. We want to live in peace.”
AMBA President Brajesh Singh said: “Not only our barbers association’’s members but others too, including non-Manipuris, who are working for their livelihoods are being killed in this way. Inhuman acts are committed by miscreants. All human beings should settle their differences and try to reach a solution by sharing with each other their likes and dislikes. Miscreants are killing mercilessly without any reason. ”
The association has the state government to punish the culprits.
Meanwhile, the local police is investigating the murder cases.
Y Chandramani, an officer in charge in the Imphal police station said, “It was a very sad incident. As directed by the highest authority, the security forces are on an extreme alert to protect people and now the situation is normal.”
“The police are also going on regular patrolling to prevent such incidents,” he added. (ANI)
- Migrant labourer killed in Manipur - Nov 10, 2009
- Two killed in Manipur in separate incidents - Mar 01, 2009
- Two more killed in Karachi violence - Jun 16, 2012
- Manipur residents condemn murder of senior education official - Jan 21, 2011
- Manipuris appeal for peace after militants target non-local labourers - Jun 14, 2009
- Four serial blasts in Manipur, two injured (Lead) - Aug 15, 2012
- Migrant labourer shot dead in Manipur - Dec 27, 2009
- Militants threat affecting telecom service of Manipur - Apr 03, 2011
- Pakistani journalist working for US radio killed (Lead) - Jan 18, 2012
- NCP leader shot dead in Imphal - Apr 27, 2010
- Two migrant workers killed in Manipur - Dec 17, 2009
- Violence rages in Assam, death toll 25 (Second Lead) - Jul 24, 2012
- Medical officer killed in Lucknow - Apr 02, 2011
- Fear in Manipur after outsiders told to quite state - Sep 07, 2012
- Medical officer shot dead in Lucknow (Lead) - Apr 02, 2011
Tags: agitation, amba, barbers, culprits, haircut, heinous act, human beings, inaction, likes and dislikes, livelihoods, locality, manipur, miscreants, murder cases, patrolling, police station, pretext, security forces, sugarcane juice, unidentified gunmen