Banks strike enters second daySeptember 25th, 2008 - 3:37 pm ICT by ANI
New Delhi, Sept 25 (ANI): Banking operations were affected as the strike call given by the employees union demanding settlement of issues like wage revision and termination of job outsourcing in banking sector among other issues entered the second day today.
According to reports, operations were almost paralysed in the public sector banks from various parts of the country.
However, cash needs of ordinary customers were met by ATMs.
On Wednesday, operations of state-run banks remained almost paralysed as about nine lakh employees went on stir.
Normal banking transactions are likely to be disrupted across 50,000 branches, including about 15,000 branches of the State Bank of India (SBI) and its six associate banks.
Earlier, the conciliatory talks between the Indian Banks” Association (IBA) and the United Forum of Bank Unions (UFBU) under the aegis of Chief Labour Commissioner (CLC), S.K. Mukhopadhya, failed to yield any results.
The UFBU, comprising nine all-India unions and organisations, is protesting the Government’’s policy of privatisation and consolidation. It asked the IBA to give a timeframe for resolving the bank unions” demands on wage revision, pension option and compassionate appointment.
The unions are protesting merger and consolidation in the banking sector. Besides the merger, other demands include settlement of issues like wage revision, second option for pension scheme, termination of job outsourcing in the banking industry and immediate appointments in the Class IV cadre. (ANI)
- Two-day nationwide bank strike from today - Sep 24, 2008
- Bank employees to strike work Aug 5 - Aug 01, 2011
- Bank strike hits customer services in Karnataka - Aug 23, 2012
- Strike cripples banking operations in Karnataka - Aug 22, 2012
- Bank employees to strike work July 7 - Jun 21, 2011
- Bank strike hits financial sector in India (Roundup) - Aug 22, 2012
- Banking services hit for second day in India (Lead) - Aug 23, 2012
- Banker's strike enters second day, operations affected - Aug 07, 2009
- Bank unions to strike Friday - Aug 03, 2011
- Banking activities paralysed as strike begins - Aug 22, 2012
- Banking services hit in northeast India - Aug 22, 2012
- Banking services in Bengal paralysed for second day - Aug 23, 2012
- Bank staff plans strike against privatisation, law changes - Jun 28, 2011
- 2 day bank strike from today - Aug 06, 2009
- 46 Indian banks' staff get pay hike (Lead) - Apr 27, 2010
Tags: aegis, bank of india, bank unions, banking industry, banking operations, banking sector, clc, indian banks association, labour commissioner, lakh, merger and consolidation, pension scheme, privatisation, public sector banks, sbi, state bank, state bank of india, ufbu, united forum, wage revision