Bangladesh to take back remains of war hero from TripuraNovember 14th, 2007 - 2:57 am ICT by admin
The team will arrive on November 6 at Ambasa, headquarters of the remote Dhalai District, to take back the remains of Hamidur Rahman, who is a gallantry award recipient of Bangladesh.
Hamidur Rahman, a soldier of the then 1st East Bengal Regiment of the Mukti Yuddha Bahani (Liberation Force) of the then East Pakistan (present Bangladesh) died at the age of 17 during the battle with the Pakistani Army in late 1970.
Rahman attacked all alone a base camp of the Pak army at Paharmura (then Indo-East Pakistan border) with just three hand grenades and a carbine. After destroying two LMG post, he died at the final post.
Body of the deceased was brought to Purbajoypara, 40 km inside India by one Rehaman Mian and given a proper Muslim burial.
On September 4, a three-member Bangladesh’s advance team consisting of Major (Retired) Kamrul Hassan Bhuinya, Lt. Col. (Retd.) Quaji Sajjad Ali Jahir and Capt. (Retd) Tazul Islam Bhuinya visited Purbajoypara, the spot of Hamidur Rahman’s grave, which had recently submerged after the development of a lake in that area.
The team has discussed the matter with Indian authorities for recovering the remains of the Hamidur Rahman.
D M Das, the District Magistrate and Collector of Dhalai District, told reporters the Bangladesh team has been assured necessary assistance to recover Hamidur Rahman’s remains.
A temporary bamboo bridge shall be made to cross a river and pumps sets shall be arranged to drive out the water from the lake, Das said.
The remains of Hamidur Rahman are expected to return in the first week of December ahead of the 37th Victory Day celebration of Bangladesh liberation on December 16.
Earlier two years ago, Bangladesh took back the remains of another gallantry award recipient, Flight Lieutenant Motiur Rahman, from Pakistan for reburial with state honour. (ANI)
- Bangladeshi leader accused of killing 57 during 1971 war - Jul 03, 2012
- Militants take abducted Tripura villagers to Bangladesh - Jul 24, 2011
- Militant killed in Tripura - Jul 22, 2012
- Retired Indian Army officer to get Bangladesh award - Jun 25, 2012
- Hasina visits Tripura Wednesday to commemorate history - Jan 10, 2012
- Bangladesh war hero Mir Shawkat Ali dead - Nov 21, 2010
- Indian, Bangladeshi war heroes celebrate victory day - Dec 16, 2011
- India thanks Bangladesh for honouring 1971 heroes - Apr 04, 2012
- Bangladesh celebrates 41st independence day - Mar 26, 2012
- India, Bangladesh sign maps, settle boundary row (Lead) - Aug 20, 2011
- Tripura guerrillas abduct eight villagers - Jul 20, 2011
- Bangladeshi artists tell liberation war story in India - Dec 06, 2011
- Bangladesh war hero who served three armies dead - May 07, 2011
- We can't forget Indians' sacrifices for us: Bangladesh minister - Nov 11, 2010
- Bangladesh to honour 129 foreigners for 1971 - Mar 22, 2012
Tags: advance team, bamboo bridge, bangladesh liberation war, bangladesh team, district magistrate, east pakistan, indian authorities, liberation, muslim burial, pak army, recipient, sajjad ali, tripura, war hero