Bangladesh FM arrives in Agartala to strengthen cross-border tradeNovember 10th, 2010 - 9:30 pm ICT by ANI
Agartala, Nov 10 (ANI): Bangladesh Foreign Minister Dipu Moni arrived here on Wednesday to strengthen cross-border trade and allied ties between the two nations.
Tripura Finance Minister Badal Choudhury and Minister of Commerce and Industry Jitendra Choudhury received Moni at the Akhaurah check post along the India-Bangladesh border after his arrival.
The visiting Bangladesh Foreign Minister thanked the State for supporting the recognition of Bengali on an international platform.
“On the issue of language (Bengali), I want to thank the Tripura Government on behalf of entire Bangladesh. I am grateful to you for demanding the Central Government to recognise Bengali as an international language in the United Nations General Assembly,” said Dipu Moni.
Tripura has sent a proposal to the Central Government for supporting Bangladesh in the United Nations for getting recognition of Bengali language.
A delegation of 30 business representatives has also accompanied Moni to boost trade related activities in other northeastern States of the country.
Later in the day, the Bangladeshi Minister met Tripura Chief Minister Manik Sarkar and other Indian officials.
During her visit, Dipu Moni will also address a business summit to be hosted by the Confederation of Indian Industry (CII), Eastern Zone chapter.
She will lay the foundation of a memorial dedicated to Indian soldiers and Bangladeshi freedom fighters on Thursday, who died during the 1971 Bangladesh liberation war in Chottakhola of Southern Tripura.
As per a landmark agreement signed by Bangladesh Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina earlier this year, India will construct a bridge over Feni River in Tripura to get access to the Chittagong port for exchange of goods and heavy machinery in the difficult terrain. (ANI)
- Bangladesh minister in India to boost trade with northeast - Nov 10, 2010
- We can't forget Indians' sacrifices for us: Bangladesh minister - Nov 11, 2010
- Bangladesh keen on joint ventures with India: Hasina - Jan 12, 2012
- India building memorial for Bangladesh war heroes - Aug 20, 2010
- India can now access Bangladesh ports: Minister - Nov 10, 2010
- India, Bangladesh to sign extradition treaty soon: Envoy (Lead) - Jun 06, 2012
- Traders' stir in Tripura continues to hit Indo-Bangla trade - Dec 23, 2011
- Bangladesh PM in Tripura to revive historic, economic ties - Jan 11, 2012
- India-Bangladesh to start work on bridge this month - Dec 22, 2010
- India to improve rail-road links to Bangladesh: Officials - Dec 06, 2010
- Hasina visits Tripura Wednesday to commemorate history - Jan 10, 2012
- Dipu Moni to visit Tripura to boost Bangla-India trade - Oct 22, 2010
- An Indian bridge to boost neighbourhood trade - Aug 23, 2012
- Tripura chief minister to visit Dhaka - Mar 13, 2012
- Dipu Moni to visit Tripura to boost Indo-Bangla trade - Jul 15, 2010
Tags: agartala, badal, bangladesh liberation war, bengali language, business representatives, business summit, chittagong port, confederation of indian industry, dipu, eastern zone, freedom fighters, indian officials, indian soldiers, international platform, jitendra, landmark agreement, minister of commerce, minister sheikh hasina, tripura government, united nations general assembly