Bangalore doctors successfully complete 40-hour-long surgery on childNovember 14th, 2007 - 8:38 am ICT by admin
“The surgery has been successful and Lakshmi is stable,” said a doctor at the Sparsh Hospital here.
Lakshmi, who is presently in the Intensive Care Unit (ICU) of the hospital, is under observation for a few more days.
Her parents are being provided with updates and do hope their daughter will lead a normal life like other children.
Laxmi’s parents received help from Sharan Patil, a doctor in Bangalore, who agreed to operate on the child free of cost.
A team of 36 doctors, including 16 specialists, began the operation on Tuesday morning.
Laxmi is a case of an Ischiopagus Tetrapus, or twin joined at the pelvis.
The incidence of such conjoined twins is one in 50,000.
Dr. Patil said the head of the other twin was missing, which made it a parasite.
Doctors faced the challenge of removing the parasite from Laxmi’s body.
Laxmi was born to a poor family in a small village in Bihar’s Araria District.
Villagers initially considered her an incarnation of Goddess Laxmi, but after sometime realised she was unwell and needed help. (ANI)
- Bangalore doctors start operating a two-year-old girl with eight limbs - Nov 14, 2007
- SC pushes for surgical separation of conjoined sisters (Lead) - Jul 16, 2012
- Hope for conjoined Patna twins after apex court ruling - Jul 19, 2012
- Panel to examine chances of separating conjoined twins - Jul 20, 2012
- Separated Nigerian Siamese twins take hope back home - Jul 17, 2010
- Delhi surgeons to separate conjoined twins from Bihar - Mar 31, 2010
- Bangalore doctors to operate an infant born with four legs - Jul 08, 2010
- Hyderabad's siamese twins face uncertain future - Jan 18, 2012
- SC pushes for medical separation of conjoined sisters - Jul 16, 2012
- Conjoined Irish twins Hassan and Hussein separated by British doctors - Apr 09, 2010
- Conjoined twins' family undecided on surgery - Jul 31, 2012
- Karnataka Chief Minister meets Lakshmi - Nov 15, 2007
- Conjoined Irish Twins Successfully Separated By Doctors - Apr 09, 2010
- Irish conjoined twins separated after 14-hour operation - May 16, 2010
- Diwali gift for Lakshmi's parents, as she smiles after seeing them - Nov 14, 2007
Tags: bangalore, bihar, conjoined twins, doctors, goddess laxmi, intensive care unit, lakshmi, lead a normal life, neurosurgeons, parasite, parents, patil, pelvis, sharan, sparsh, tuesday morning, unwell