Banda rape case: Krishna Tirath calls for harsh punishment for accused lawmakerJanuary 18th, 2011 - 6:07 pm ICT by ANI
New Delhi/Banda, Jan 18 (ANI): Minister of State for Women and Child Development Krishna Tirath on Tuesday asked for stern judicial proceedings and severe punishment for Bahujan Samaj Party (BSP) MLA Purushottam Naresh Dwivedi involved in the rape of a teenaged dalit girl in Uttar Pradesh’s Banda District.
Tirath said the main accused should be punished at an administrative level, where his rights as a legislator would be taken away.
“It is a very sad incident that has taken place in which a public representative is involved and then threatens openly. Our Constitution does not allow this and stern judicial proceedings must move against the accused,” said Tirath, while addressing a seminar here.
“The fast-track court is already out with the verdict and he will get critically punished. Rather, I want the punishment to be given on administrative level,” she added.
Meanwhile, the Banda rape case will be heard in the Allahabad High Court today. The High Court will determine if the victim’s confinement was ‘illegal’.
The Supreme Court on Monday agreed to consider a plea for a judicial probe into the case, and is likely to take up the case for hearing on Friday.
An apex court bench of Chief Justice S H Kapadia decided to consider the desirability of a judicial investigation into the incident, as senior counsel Harish Salve, during the hearing of another plea linked to the issue of police reform, mentioned the incident, seeking an independent probe into it.
Harish Salve has been asked by the court to file a formal application before Friday when it would examine it.
During the hearing of a plea for expeditious implementation of September 2006 directions of the apex court on police reform, Salve mentioned the incident involving the BSP MLA and sought an inquiry by the Allahabad District Judge or by someone from ‘outside the area’.
Earlier on Friday, the 17-year-old girl stood by her allegations and claimed that Dwivedi raped her at his residence, along with three of his supporters.
She had also given a similar statement to a three-member team of National Commission of Women (NCW).
The girl was allegedly raped on December 10-11 at Dwivedi’s residence. She escaped from the MLA’s house on December 12, when he allegedly attempted to rape her for the third time and charged her with theft.
The Chief Judicial Magistrate of Banda has sent Dwivedi to 14 days of judicial custody.
The MLA, who was on the run after orders for his arrest were issued, was taken into custody on Thursday.
The investigating officials, who conducted the preliminary inquiry, have found that Dwivedi had raped the teenager and framed her in a false theft case. (ANI)
- Banda rape case: Supreme Court to hear plea for judicial probe on Friday - Jan 17, 2011
- BSP Govt. taking Banda rape case 'very seriously': Mayawati - Jan 20, 2011
- Banda rape victim says she wants BSP MLA hanged - Jan 16, 2011
- BJP accuses UP Govt. of failing to maintain law and order - Jan 29, 2011
- Banda rape case: MLA did rape me, says Dalit girl - Jan 14, 2011
- Banda rape: CBI books BSP legislator - Sep 22, 2011
- Relatives of jailed MLA ask Mayawati to intervene in Banda rape case - Jan 24, 2011
- Congress for judicial probe against rape-accused BSP lawmaker - Jan 02, 2011
- Rahul Gandhi meets Banda rape victim - Feb 07, 2011
- Mayawati orders release of Banda rape victim - Jan 15, 2011
- 'Create a helpline for rape victims' - Mar 02, 2012
- Apex court notice to Uttar Pradesh on Banda rape - Jan 21, 2011
- BSP MLA arrested in Dalit girl rape case - Jan 13, 2011
- Custody of girl raped by BSP legislator extended in theft case - Jan 14, 2011
- Rape-accused BSP legislator suspended - Jan 02, 2011
Tags: administrative level, allahabad high court, apex court, banda district, court bench, formal application, harsh punishment, independent probe, judicial investigation, judicial probe, judicial proceedings, kapadia, lawmaker, minister of state, police reform, public representative, purushottam, rape case, senior counsel, severe punishment