Banaras University slaps Rs.50,00 fine for raggingJuly 30th, 2009 - 7:46 pm ICT by ANI
Varanasi, July 30 (ANI): Setting an example for other colleges and students over ragging issue, Banaras Hindu University (BHU) fined its 10 students and handed over them to the police for allegedly ragging junior students.
Police have filed a criminal case against the alleged students who have been arrested.
Eight of them are second year students of Bachelors of Technology (B.Tech) and the other two are third year students.
According to a university official, a college security staff member in civil dress chased the alleged students who took the freshers away from the campus to the Assi Ghat for ragging.
The students, however, claimed innocence and said they were only going for sightseeing with the juniors on their request.
“We only know this much that we are innocent. We were playing cricket with our juniors for the past three-four days. We were introduced to them in our department and we have mingled with them,” said Digvijay Singh, one of the accused students.
Meanwhile, college authorities that claimed to be in possession of video and other proofs of ragging, handed over the students to police at the Lanka Station.
Fine has already been imposed Rs. 50,000 on the students by university
“The university has taken strong steps. Each student has been slapped with a fine of Rs. 50,000. They have been suspended from the hostel for one semester and from their class for 15 days. If they are unable to pay the fine in due time, they will be suspended from the class as well. The accused have been handed over to police under the UGC (University Grants Commission) guidelines,” said Arjun Singh Rathaur, Proctor BHU.
The arrests have come about a month after BHU set up a ragging prevention committee to maintain zero-ragging campus.
Officials said that the university would strictly follow the Supreme Court’s rules to prevent ragging in educational institutions.
According to the rule, students found guilty of ragging will be suspended and in some cased could be jailed. (ANI)
- 10 BHU students charged with ragging - Jul 30, 2009
- Four students arrested for ragging in Varanasi - Sep 15, 2009
- Four Varanasi students arrested for ragging (Lead) - Sep 15, 2009
- Four Varanasi students booked for ragging - Sep 15, 2009
- Four Himachal students booked for ragging - Aug 10, 2010
- Rajasthan colleges told to set up anti-ragging panels - Sep 11, 2012
- Four BHU students arrested as ragging victim threatens suicide (Lead) - Sep 18, 2010
- Medical student suspended for ragging - Jan 03, 2012
- BHU student threatens suicide, four arrested for ragging - Sep 17, 2010
- Student kills self in BHU - Feb 22, 2012
- Student thrashed by colleagues at private college - Sep 10, 2011
- Smooth ride for freshers at DU - Jul 21, 2011
- Join politics to cleanse it, Rahul tells students (Roundup) - Jan 10, 2011
- Two more Himachal students arrested for ragging - Aug 11, 2010
- Student ragging, murder: Two varsity officials face case - Jul 02, 2012
Tags: arjun singh, b tech, banaras university, campus officials, college authorities, college security, criminal case, due time, educational institutions, freshers, ghat, hindu university, junior students, juniors, proctor, proofs, security staff, staff member, ugc, university grants commission