Bajrang Dal protests in Bhopal against demolition of temple in MalaysiaNovember 14th, 2007 - 8:27 am ICT by admin
The Malaysian authorities reportedly said that the temple was built on an encroached land.
Activists marched through the streets in Bhopal shouting anti-Malaysia slogans.
Bajrang Dal’s Bhopal District chief Vishal Purohit threatened countrywide protests if their demands were not met.
“We demand the protection of the Hindu temples of the world and request the Central government to reprimand the Malaysian ambassador and send him back otherwise the activists of the Bajrang Dal will take out countrywide protest,” he said.
Built in 1873, the temple dedicated to Goddess Maha Mariamman was the oldest Hindu temple in Malaysia.
Carved images of deities adorned the temple’s grand entrance, a 22-metre high pyramid-shaped tower or ‘gopuram’.
According to various Hindu groups in Malaysia, some 10,000 temples have been demolished so far in what is termed as “temple cleansing” drive in the country. (ANI)
- Hindu activists in Tamil Nadu protest demolition of temples in Malaysia - Nov 14, 2007
- Malaysia's oldest Hindu temple portrayed on stamp for the first time - Aug 23, 2010
- Samy Vellu appointed Malaysia's special envoy to India - Dec 13, 2010
- Hindus to move temple in Malaysian suburb - Jan 13, 2010
- Hindus laud Malaysian postage stamp of Mahamariamman Temple - Aug 25, 2010
- Malaysians put off demolition of 130-year-old Indian temple - Oct 09, 2009
- Protesters fined for displaying cow head in Malaysia - Jul 27, 2010
- Malaysian PM launches Malay Indian Vellu's 'tell-all' biography - Dec 12, 2010
- Differences sharpen between Amarnath board, religious groups - May 12, 2012
- Malay Indians express outrage over sale of slippers bearing Hindu deity impressions - Feb 12, 2011
- Multiplexes in Gujarat not to screen Shahrukh's film - Feb 12, 2010
- Alternative sites provided for relocation of two Malay Hindu temples - Aug 17, 2009
- Bajrang Dal activists kill tour operator - Feb 09, 2011
- Decision to shift Hindu temple in Malaysian city shelved - Sep 14, 2009
- Study on status of Hindu temples proposed in Malaysia - Nov 27, 2010
Tags: activists, bajrang dal, bhopal, city authorities, countrywide, district chief, grand entrance, hindu groups, hindu temples, jawa town, maha mariamman, malaysian authorities, mariamman temple, oldest hindu temple, padang jawa, protests, reprimand, vishal