Bajrang Dal group stopped from going to Amarnath base campsMay 13th, 2012 - 11:52 pm ICT by IANS
Jammu, May 13 (IANS) Citing inclement weather, the Jammu and Kashmir government Sunday denied permission to a group of around 100 Bajrang Dal members from going to the Amarnath shrine base camps. They were asked to halt at Udhampur, 70 km from here.
The group was on its way to Baltal and Pahalgam base camps to inspect the route to the cave shrine ahead of the pilgrimage next month and help clear the snow for smooth movement of devotees.
“The decision (to stop the group) was taken after a detailed discussion with Bajrang Dal in a high-level meeting,” a government spokesperson said in a statement.
“The administration is actively working on ensuring a safe and clear route to the cave well before the commencement of the yatra (pilgrimage),” said the statement.
This year’s pilgrimage begins June 25 and ends August 2.
Bajrang Dal has been critical of the Shri Amarnath Shrine Board’s decision to reduce the pilgrimage’s time period citing hostile climate. It said the board was misleading the devotees.
The Dal’s regional co-convener Nand Kishore Mishra had said that the board had reduced the pilgrimage days from 60 to 39 in 2009, 55 in 2010 and 45 in 2011. He called it “anti-religious”.
However, the board had said the number of day was reduced sue to hostile weather conditions. Late year, 107 people died during the pilgrimage.
- Differences sharpen between Amarnath board, religious groups - May 12, 2012
- Amarnath yatra too short, say religious groups - Feb 29, 2012
- Government, Hindu groups clash over Amarnath yatra - Jun 09, 2011
- Bad weather hampering efforts to clear Amarnath route - May 27, 2012
- Chopper fares slashed for Amarnath pilgrims - Apr 04, 2012
- Thousands trek to Amarnath cave for prayers (Lead) - Jun 29, 2011
- Amarnath yatra dates decided on religious calendar, says shrine board (Lead) - Feb 29, 2012
- Governor reviews Amarnath pilgrimage facilities - Jul 17, 2012
- Annual Amarnath yatra begins (Lead) - Jun 24, 2012
- Thick snow cover posing new risk to Amarnath pilgrims - Jun 22, 2012
- Over hundred thousand perform Amarnath Yatra in seven days - Jul 05, 2011
- Home ministry reviews situation ahead of Amarnath Yatra - Jun 11, 2012
- Pilgrims cannot start Amarnath Yatra before June 25 - Jun 23, 2012
- Groups threaten to start Amarnath Yatra June 3 - May 19, 2012
- Bad weather halts Amarnath pilgrimage (Second Lead) - Jul 03, 2011
Tags: amarnath shrine, bajrang dal, base camps, commencement, convener, devotees, government spokesperson, hostile climate, inclement weather, jammu and kashmir, jammu and kashmir government, kashmir, kishore, mishra, nand, pilgrimage, shri, shrine board, smooth movement, weather conditions