Azad calls for organ donation encouragement driveMay 3rd, 2011 - 10:11 pm ICT by ANI
New Delhi, May 3 (ANI): Union Minister for Health and Family Welfare Ghulam Nabi Azad today called for stepping up the drive to generate awareness about organ and tissue donation in the society.
Releasing a book published by the Organ Retrieval Banking Organization of All India Institute of Medical Sciences (AIIMS), titled - “A Tribute to Life”, Azad said that there is a huge gap between demand and availability of human organs and tissues.
The book features the donors and their families who have taken the crucial decision of donating organs and tissues of their near and dear ones and rendered yeomen service to society by saving lives of many other people in need.
The Organ Retrieval Banking Organization (ORBO) at AIIMS is striving hard to meet the needs of terminally ill patients by educating and motivating people to come forward to donate organs and tissues after death.
As yet over 15000 people have registered in the brain death donor registry of ORBO. Medical advances in the field of transplant immunology, surgical management and organ preservation have made it possible now to transplant organs and tissues from one person to another.
Any Human being can help to save a life of another human by pledging for donation and convincing his/her family members to honor that pledge after death. (ANI)
- Grandparents, grandchildren can now donate organs to relatives - Dec 18, 2009
- Health Minister Gulam Nabi Azad ask people to donate organs to save lives - Nov 27, 2010
- Stem cell transplant cheap in India, but very few centres - Jan 01, 2011
- 'Lack of organ donors affecting liver transplants' - Jan 19, 2012
- Salman Khan Pledges Bone Marrow For Marrow Donor Registry (India) - Nov 18, 2010
- Womb transplants possible next year: Expert - Mar 27, 2011
- Delhi homemaker gets new heart - May 31, 2011
- 'Stiff penalties mooted for unethical practices in organ grafting' - Nov 27, 2010
- Donor organs go waste in Britain - Feb 13, 2012
- Only 4,500 out of two lakh get transplants - Feb 15, 2012
- Oz kidney buyers giving China's 'transplant tourism' a boost - Feb 06, 2011
- Minister inaugurates organ transplant unit - Jun 12, 2010
- Bill to amend Transplantation of Human Organs Act tabled - Aug 26, 2011
- Save lives, become an organ donor (Nov 27 is World Organ Donation Day) - Nov 27, 2010
- Gambhir to donate his body parts - Nov 10, 2011
Tags: aiims, all india institute of medical sciences, brain death, donating organs, donor registry, family welfare, gap, ghulam nabi azad, human organs, india institute, medical advances, orbo, organ and tissue donation, organ donation, organ preservation, organ retrieval, surgical management, terminally ill patients, transplant immunology, union minister