Ayodhya has a Hindu woman keeping Rozas during RamadanNovember 14th, 2007 - 1:50 am ICT by admin
Sudha Aggarwal has deep regard for Islam and is a living inspiration for Hindus and Muslims in Faizabad District.
On Sunday, the 24th day of Rozas, Sudha Aggarwal hosted Iftar (referred to the evening meal for breaking the daily fast during the Islamic month of Ramadan). She invited her Muslim friends and neighbours.
“I keep Roza so I can invite my friends and neighbours to the Iftar party. I asked my neighbours and they happily agreed to come to my house,” Sudha said.
It’s been twenty years since Sudha started visiting the Dargah of Hazarat Sayyed Shaheed Salar Ali Mohammed Hasan Rehmat Ullah Aleh. She has been visiting the sacred place every week along with her children.
“Any festival can only be successful if people will celebrate it together. It doesn’t matter if it is a Hindu festival, Muslim festival or any other festival,” said Khadim Abbas, Sudha’s neighbour.
During the holy month of Ramadan, Muslims observe a day-long fast without water .This year the month-long dawn-to- dusk fast started on September 16, after the sighting of the new moon.
Ramadan, the ninth month of the Hijri lunar calendar, commemorates the revelation of Quran, Islam’s holy book, and has traditionally been a time of religious fervour, settling old disputes and behaving charitably towards neighbours.
Fasting during Ramadan is one of the five pillars of Islam. During daylight hours, Muslims abstain from eating, drinking, smoking, sex and music.
Considered auspicious for prayers, Muslims observe the month-long fasting called “Roza”. It is believed to secure them a place in heaven and also brings them face-to-face with Allah — the Almighty — on the day of “Qayamat”, when the world will cease to be. (ANI)
- Muslims observes Ramadan with prayers at mosques - Aug 12, 2010
- Muslims across India offer prayers on last Friday of Ramadan - Sep 03, 2010
- It's time to be in Hyderabad -- for Eid shopping! - Aug 28, 2011
- Cleric to child, Ramadan spirit binds them all (Lead) - Sep 08, 2010
- Prayers, feasts and piety - it's Ramadan in India (Special) - Sep 08, 2010
- Ramzan begins in Hyderabad - Aug 01, 2011
- Indonesian women caned in public for selling food during Ramadan under sharia law - Oct 02, 2010
- Old Hyderabad never sleeps for Eid shopping (Letter from Hyderabad) - Aug 16, 2012
- Ramadan begins amid prayers in Kashmir - Jul 21, 2012
- 200-year-old Ka'aba shroud goes on display in UAE - Aug 07, 2011
- UAE embassy in France gives free iftar meals - Aug 12, 2010
- Floods put the dampeners on Ramadan spirits in Lucknow - Sep 07, 2008
- No Rozas for Hina Khan Due to Tough Shoot Schedules - Sep 08, 2010
- Pickle markets witness brisk business in Kashmir - Sep 24, 2008
- UAE distributes food for Iftar in Senegal, Nigeria - Jul 20, 2012
Tags: aggarwal, ali mohammed, ayodhya, communal harmony, dawn to dusk, five pillars of islam, friends and neighbours, hindu festival, hindu woman, lunar calendar, muslim festival, muslims, pillars of islam, qayamat, quran islam, ramadan, roza, sex and music, sudha