Awareness campaign by girl students in PatnaMarch 7th, 2009 - 6:56 pm ICT by ANI
Patna, Mar 7 (ANI): Ahead of the International Womens Day, the girl students on Saturday organised an awareness campaign to educate women about their rights.
International Womens day is celebrated all over the world on March 8.
Girl Students held placards and banners to establish the equality of human beings irrespective of sex and other differences, and to secure womens entitlement to fundamental human rights.
A man and a woman are two sides of a coin and if women are not there, our future will be destroyed. We are trying to spread awareness that women need to be encouraged and all should try to help them to move forward in society. If one person takes a step forward then the whole world can help empower women, said Shilpi Kumari, student, Patna Womens college.
Another student Rupa Mohini believed that the growing incidence of female foeticide, infanticide and high rates of infant and maternal mortality demonstrate the survival of the girl child at stake.
Our motive here was to create awareness among the women of our country who are being exploited everyday. Especially rural women have not deserved their rights. Their identity is at risk. Female foeticide, which is so common nowadays, is threatening the existence of women, Rupa said.
Increasing incidence of dowry-related deaths and mental and physical torture of women by their husbands and parents-in-law was also highlighted by the students during their campaign. (ANI)
- Shun violence, join mainstream: President Patil to Maoists - Jun 24, 2011
- Honour for women delivering girl child - Aug 09, 2012
- Falling child sex ratio is national shame: PM - Apr 21, 2011
- Agra specially-abled youths campaign against female foeticide - Oct 05, 2009
- Improve India's sex ratio, says president - Mar 17, 2011
- German embassy to aid girl child protection campaign - Mar 20, 2012
- Bihar teacher beaten to death for dowry - Mar 21, 2012
- Court asks Rajasthan to explain action against female child killing - Mar 30, 2012
- Eesha Koppikhar to support cause of the girl child - Sep 21, 2010
- Re-double efforts to protect women: President - Aug 02, 2012
- Patil's goodbye wish: A 'corruption-free India' - Jul 24, 2012
- Need to fight bias against girl child: President - Aug 14, 2011
- Rajasthan to soon have girl child policy - Jun 22, 2012
- Women gamers thrash dowry-seekers online - Mar 21, 2012
- Bangladeshi girl dumps groom for demanding dowry - Nov 16, 2011
Tags: awareness campaign, deaths, dowry, equality, existence, female foeticide, fundamental human rights, girl child, girl students, human beings, infanticide, international womens day, man and a woman, maternal mortality, motive, physical torture, placards, rural women, stake, torture of women