Australian envoy meets Omar AbdullahApril 14th, 2011 - 11:26 pm ICT by IANS
Jammu, April 14 (IANS) Australian High Commissioner Peter Varghese Thursday called on Jammu and Kashmir Chief Minister Omar Abdullah, who briefed him on the steps his government is taking for expanding economic activities and generating employment opportunities.
The chief minister met the visiting envoy at his official residence here.
“In an hour-long meeting, the two discussed various issues relating to the socio-economic and political developments in Jammu and Kashmir,” an official spokesman said in a release issued here.
Abdullah apprised Varghese of the new initiatives taken by the state government with the liberal financial logistic assistance from the centre government to ensure equitable development and peace in the state, it said.
The Australian envoy “showed keen interest in the innovative measures taken by the state government under the leadership of Omar Abdullah to address the employment crisis, give considerable fillip to power generation and its transmission and distribution, help industrialisation, upgrade health, education and road communication sectors and give impetus to the improvement of tourist facilities in the state,” the release added.
- Finland offers Kashmir help in harnessing renewable energy - Jun 12, 2011
- EU delegation calls on Omar Abdullah - May 12, 2011
- Good roads, railways vital for J&K;: Omar Abdullah - Sep 10, 2012
- India-Pakistan ties have direct bearing on Kashmir: Omar - Apr 25, 2012
- Omar for financially self-reliant Jammu and Kashmir - Apr 24, 2012
- Make preparations for more tourists in 2012: Omar Abdullah - Jan 23, 2012
- J&K; to get planning board this year: Omar - Jul 22, 2012
- Omar gives nod to loans schemes for youth entrepreneurs - Feb 01, 2012
- Rahul promises equal development of Kashmir - Sep 28, 2011
- Farooq Abdullah reviews renewable energy projects in J-K - May 13, 2010
- Central initiatives needed for expanding Kashmir youth job orbit: Abdullah - Nov 25, 2010
- Kashmir's economic growth depends on power: Omar - Sep 04, 2012
- Chidambaram reviews security in Kashmir - May 23, 2012
- Tourism can boost Kashmir's economic development: Omar - Dec 31, 2011
- Centre assures full support to Omar Abdullah to help end violence in Kashmir - Jul 18, 2010
Tags: australian high commissioner, commissioner peter, communication sectors, development and peace, economic activities, employment crisis, equitable development, fillip, health education, impetus, jammu and kashmir, kashmir, kashmir chief minister, keen interest, logistic assistance, political developments, power generation, state government, tourist facilities, varghese