Australia donates Rs 350,000 to Delhi NGO MaitriApril 21st, 2011 - 4:13 pm ICT by ANI
New Delhi, Apr.21 (ANI): Australian High Commissioner Peter Varghese presented a cheque for 3.51 lakh rupees to New Delhi-based NGO Maitri.
The money will be used to support Maitri’s educational program where children are provided with tutoring in reading and writing Hindi and English, basic maths skills, health and hygiene. The children will also be provided with snacks to improve their nutrition.
“The money is just one of the many grants we distribute from our Direct Aid Program. Although the individual sums are small they can make a big difference to the organisations we support,” said Varghese.
“I greatly admire the work of NGOs like Matri, which is making a real difference to lives” added Varghese, who spent two hours interacting with the staff and children of Maitri.
In 2009-10 Australia distributed 20 Direct Aid Program (DAP) grants in India and two in Bhutan with a total value of 1.2 crore rupees. In 2010-11 Australia expects to distribute a record 1.4 crore rupees in DAP grants.
“We are really very grateful for the grant from the Australian High Commission. It will help to increase the reach and depth of our program to support the academic aspirations of disadvantaged children,” said Maitri Chief Officer Sonal Singh Wadhwa. (ANI)
- Australia gives Rs.10 lakh grant for Mumbai Magic Bus project - Nov 20, 2009
- Oz Haat Charity Fair in Delhi from Saturday - Dec 03, 2009
- Australian High Commission brings social change for slum kids - Nov 12, 2010
- New support for leading-edge science research between Australia, India - Sep 22, 2010
- Oz sports minister launches Rs.200 mn programme for the disadvantaged - Oct 06, 2010
- Oz Haat Mela in Delhi to showcase India's development - Dec 03, 2010
- Auburn Kindergarten students to get the iPad 2 - Apr 11, 2011
- India, Australia collaborate for scientific research - Jun 26, 2012
- Australia keen on close ties with UP government - Jun 23, 2012
- Seven Indians awarded Australian scholarship (Lead) - Sep 21, 2010
- Rachael Finch poses nude to aid charity - Dec 21, 2010
- Australia commits NSG support for India - May 03, 2012
- KBC winner awaits Rs.5 crore, Big B says cheque ready - Dec 13, 2011
- Seven Indian students get prestigious Australian scholarship - Sep 21, 2010
- Rebuilding Indian students' faith post-Oz attacks: Varghese - Feb 16, 2011
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,